Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: best finish for high traffic natural teak floor?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:58 pm 
New User

I live in Hawaii where hardwood is a bit less common. We have a very high moisture content in the air ,don't know if that applies to my question or not.

I am refinishing a teak floor for my hanai mom, just finished stripping and sanding it. I am wondering what the very best type of product to finish this natural teak floor is? We want it to be not too shiny as to minimize the showing of flaws, and really hold up to a beating. Keeping the natural amber color of the wood is what we are going for, not darkening it too much. Thanks for any advice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: best finish for high traffic natural teak floor?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:26 pm 
Valued Contributor

Two of the most durable and good looking urethanes are Basic Coating's Street Shoe and Bonakemi's Traffic .Both of these are water based urethanes. And both are significantly harder and more durable than oil urethanes and will have more of a neutral color.

However, your teak flooring has a high tannin content which basically means it is an oily wood. I might recommend using something other than a water based sealer as a first coat. Something like a zinnser Seal Coat would work well as it is a de waxed shellac and sticks to anything.

Once your sealer is thoroughly dry, you can buff it (level sand) and then vacuum/tack and top coat with whatever else you want to use. Most oil and water urethanes are available in a variety of sheens so pick a satin or whatever you feel is best .

Profile E-mail