Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best floating floor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:15 pm 
New User

I'm planning on installing a floating floor over a new plywood sub-floor with hot water radiant installed to the underside of the sub-floor. This is going into an apartment over a finished (heated) garage. I want to install the best reasonably priced product that can withstand the rigors of a family of five, with a big dog, in a cold weather climate (MD). So far I've looked at 3/8" Tarkett Genesis Walnut Natural Glaze (Home Depot) & the 5/8" Kahrs Oak Barley Country. Here are my concerns:

Is 5/8" better than 3/8"? It has a thicker hardwood surface, and seems more substantial for noise control and rigidity. Thoughts?

Water - There is no way that we will not spill water or drag it into the house on our shoes. Can a floating floor withstand a moderate amount of water? I've read some nasty reviews on Kahrs absorbing water at the end-grain. Amazon has pictures of it. Without question the floor will get wet. Would a vinyl laminate product withstand the rigors of life better?

Aluminum Oxide vs polyurethane finish. Does it matter?

Who makes the best click lock product?

Lots of questions. I'm trying to do my research but thought I'd ask the folks with experience. I've laid down several hardwood floors in the past but this will be my first click lock floating over radiant. Hate to do things twice.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Best floating floor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:09 pm 
Prized Contributor

I have to say Mirage makes the best one I've run into so far as wood goes.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Best floating floor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 am 
Worthy Contributor

We use a lot of Kahrs and do not seem to have any problems also the mirage is a good product. Water is not going to do weel with any wood. It really depends on what you mean by a moderate amount. It is best to keep it to a minimum. We frequently hear things like "the dog dish only spilled 5 times it should do this" or "the kids sprayed each other with the kitchen sprayer but we wiped it up right away" any amount of water is not good.

Profile E-mail