Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best Floors For Texas (Oil Finish ?)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:40 pm 
New User

I'm shopping for the best engineering wood floors for my first floor (slab ~2300 sf). Talking with a local store, the nice sales man recommended that I should consider oil base finish over a polyurethane finish since it can be re-polish and will basically last forever with the right care. Unfortunately he did not have may sample but have requested some from his suppliers. I have three kids, dogs, cats etc. and would prefer a quality floor that can hold up well over the years. Any recommendations on good engineering wood products would be great.

Thanks Chris
Austin - Texas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Best Floors For Texas (Oil Finish ?)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:23 pm 
Prized Contributor

You have lots of excellent mesquite mills out there in Texas. And you can go direct.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:43 pm 
New User

HWFT,

Great forum. I have been reading for a few months -thought I knew what I was going to do but I keep getting newer and better information and better ideas.

I am closing on a new home in Austin and also have the same questions about oiled floors and flooring options in Texas. I would very much like to purchase direct and save some bucks. Not opposed to doing a true hardwood vice and engineered over a slab if its possible. I am willing to lay the underlayment plywood and do the work. We like the dark hickory rustic look. Can Mesquite be oiled?

LPD

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:18 am 
Prized Contributor

LPD, mesquite is oiled all the time. It's so hard you will never wear it out in two lifetimes. One mills it at 1/2" and you can glue it direct to concrete but get straps and make sure the slab it flat flat flat! Oh and rent a 100lb roller.

Just google mesquite hardwood flooring and several places in Texas will pop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:43 am 
New User

Mesquite hardwood flooring looks nice although my significant other prefers a wider and longer boards. Other than mesquite, do you have a preference on a oil finished product with > 5'' wide planks. The more durable the better especially with my kids and house pets. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks Chris
Austin, TX

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 pm 
New User

I don't mind the narrower boards and would actually like to do a mixed width layout -I like the way this looks. I was thinking #1 and better boards -hadn't really seriously considered gluing direct but on thinking about it more I really like this idea. I guess this is possible due to how stable the mesquite is. Straps are a definite if I go this route. Have not moisture tested the slab yet, but the way I do things (read: serious overkill) I would go ahead and pay the money for Bostiks MVP and BB for adhesive after what I have read here on the board.

Looking at one install pdf that I had found, I read that one should install with washer spacing? Would this be RH dependent? I mean if it is really humid during the install (and after acclimation) -washers would not be needed. But if dry, then one would need spacing for when the wood absorbs moisture?

I really hope that its possible to DIY this install. I am very thorough and take my time -and definitely research all the info I can obtain before I start. Has anyone heard of washer spacing then filling with sawdust before finishing? I would like to learn more about oiling the floor for finishing. Are we talking about tung oil or the like?

Jim

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:17 pm 
New User

So what did you guys find out. I am looking into the same thing and would obviously love to use local Texas resources. Finding pricing and mills isn't very obvious. Does anyone have a mill they recommend that is close to Austin?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm 
Prized Contributor

Here's a company that mills their own mesquite. I have no idea how close they are. You should email them for a price list. Mine may be out of date.

http://www.mesquitewoodproducts.com/about.html

Plus they said the lengths come up to 4 to 6 ft long. What else would ya want? Up to 8" wide!

http://www.mesquitewoodproducts.com/products.html

Profile E-mail