Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: best oil base polyurethane plus filler question
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:38 am 
Newbie Contributor

I have decided that the best finish for our 2000 plus feet of maple refinish and new is an oil based polyurethane. Mostly due to the ability to match all the floors that are existing but for other reasons also such a the great amber look of oil. My question is this . What is the best , most durable oil poly on the market today. I have been told Fabulon heavy duty poly by one person but I dont know if this is available locally in the Massachusetts area. Any opinions.

Question #2. A have a few small places where the maple boards have shrunk due to water from the water at the fridge and a spot where the christmas tree leaked. The boards are not damaged but have shrunk just a little compared to surrounding boards. should I be using a filler to fill the spaces ? If so what do I use. We can always live with the difference as it is not that bad if this is whats best. Thanks in advance. Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:26 am 
Prized Contributor

your boards probbaly have not shrunk they have some compession set damged from where they were swole up at one time from the leaks. You can find wood filler in a maple tone at most flooring supply houses to fill the gaps. On the poly I want to say you are in a state that the voc laws have cut down on the avilability of the product you are looking for. Look for a wood flooring supplier in your area and go see what they have, a good oilbased poly should run about 100.00 bucks a five, pay any less and you are probally getting a lower end poly. I like bona's woodline the best. Every one has there favorites there are plenty more quality ones out there just most are not marked to the general public via the big box stores.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:42 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks Kevin. That was good information. by compression set damage I assume you mean the board swelled so much the expansion pressure crushed the wood fibers. That makes sense.

Also as far as the low VOC junk, I will go over the border until I can find a real oil poly. The house is in NH (the live free or die state) where I should be able to get the real stuff.

thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.
Scott