Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best time for hardwood installation
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:52 pm 
New User

I wrapped up my first hardwood installation of the living and dining room this past month. The humidity and temperature were high.

My question is, I will need to continue installing my other rooms during the December or spring time period. Since I have no (no AC) control of humifity in the house, what would be the best time to install the hardwood, at the point where moisture is the highest - next summer, or it shouldn't matter.

The hardwood will be installed in a hallway and upstairs bedrooms. No cement floor underneath, all wood.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

MJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:20 pm 
Prized Contributor

When it comes time to install in the winter time, go measure the gaps in the floor you just installed(it's tight now, right). Then maintain that small gap, throughout the installation during the winter installation, after the floor has acclimated to the moisture content of the wood you have now.(you need a moisture meter, badly!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:12 pm 
New User

Thanks for the reply. Yes currently the installed flooring is tight no gaps. If I follow your suggestion, I should maintain the gap that I measure in the floor during the winter and maintain that gap throughout the remaining installation, understood. Then when the mositure content goes up the floor will expand and fill in the gap without buckling or cupping.

However, if I do get a moisture meter and achieve the moisture level between the subfloor and the hardwood to the specified content level, then install the wood, I will still get the potential problem of gapping and no gapping with the shift in humidity levels. But installing it with the correct level of mositure only minimmizes the gapping. Is my logic correct here. Since obviously I do not have any control over the mositure content in the house.

MJ