Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best way to fill gaps in these floors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:24 pm 
New User

Hello, we did a DIY renovation on our house this year (super budget). We had our handymen help with the flooring -- not a contractor. I honestly didn't know at the time how easy it was to get flooring wrong. I went to Home Depot and got Bruce Plano Oak Marsh 5" planks and the guys glued/nailed them down. I knew right away that the install was bad but was so exhausted from the reno that I pushed it aside... or maybe it's worse in winter and I'm coming up for air with time to really notice. But it's not good and everything I'm reading about acceptable gap size agrees.

Picture examples: https://imgur.com/a/1JKMpiA

In addition to the gaps all over, I guess one of the guys was installing at an angle and it had to be corrected/salvaged by making the weird notch pictured. Of course, the absolute worst of it is in the most high-traffic place in my house that everyone sees, where there is no area rug.

I'm wondering how to fill in the gaps in a way that makes it the least noticeable. I see Color Rite as an option as well as the sawdust and epoxy. I'll be doing this myself (I have two little kids, we moved back into the house and I'll be filling a few gaps a day per nap or after bedtime for the rest of time). What is my best bet?

Note -- I cannot afford to replace all the flooring again, and don't have a contractor to make fix it since we paid two guys with no flooring skills on an hourly basis.

Any help you can provide would be truly appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Best way to fill gaps in these floors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
as well as the sawdust and epoxy

No, no no. Not with prefinished.

Use any acrylic water based filler only.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:47 am 
New User

Thank you. Would Color Rite be the best brand, then? If so, do I color match the darker tones or lighter tones on the wood? I fear that the larger gaps will look odd with the flat texture instead of a grain to it.

Otherwise is there an acrylic option that can be stained to look more like the wood next to it than Color Rite would?

I've looked all over for pictures of floors filled with color rite and can't seem to find any. If anyone can share I'd love to see before diving in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 pm 
New User

Bump! I'm hoping to order asap so just want to confirm Color Rite is best and whether to match to the dark or light parts of the grain. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:00 am 
Worthy Contributor

I use color rite regularly and its a decent product - however you typically don't fill gaps between boards like this as once the material expands in the humid summer the silicone can either ooze out or create extra pressure on the boards that may lead to buckling. Given your situation, the install is already botched, so it doesn't hurt to try.

Another similar product is Color Flex. If you have a piece of flooring material left over from the install, I would drive around to every flooring store in your area and see if they have silicone to match; this will save you from ordering online and waiting a few weeks. Do not use putty - it won't last. Do not use wax - its too stiff to allow any expansion.

Profile E-mail