Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best way to find replacement/patch material?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 am 
New User

Whats the best way to go about finding replacement/patch material for old floors? I have a few strips that have major termite damage (had the house inspected and treated, all the damage is old, none active) and need to be completely replaced.

I was going to take some pictures and start at the local hardwood specialty shop. Any other suggestions? There are no closets in this area to steal from... floor is from 1930.

Also, assuming I find something close in species, how do you deal with different width? The floor is T&G and I doubt I will be lucky enough to find something that matches perfectly. If I rip it and lose one side of the t&g will I compromise the strength of the floor? Is there a way to create my own 'groove' after ripping the piece down? I will have to cut the strip out back to the nearest joist in order to have something for the new strip to be anchored to at the ends since there is no subfloor. Is there a ratio for the length of strip to cut out to ensure adequate support? All of the info I've seen on replacing damaged planks/strips is for an area with a subfloor and assuming you can get more of whatever was installed in the first place :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:17 am 
Prized Contributor

Have you considered making what you have now the subfloor, patch up the damaged sections, and lay a new floor over this?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:24 am 
New User

Hi Jerry,

Yes- especially because I have two german shepherds... I looked into floating laminate, but even my beat up floors look so much better than the laminate samples I saw...

Honestly I'm still trying to figure out the best course of action. I had about convinced myself to do the floating floor until I ordered the samples from simplefloors. Adding a new layer of floor would bring the f.f. closer to the kitchen and bathroom level (ceramic tile installed). I could add a backing that had some insulative value, and I would save myself a lot of dust...

Maybe I'll go look for some more laminate options... Thanks for the suggestion!

Carolyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:46 am 
Prized Contributor

Personally, I would try to salvage the exising floor, for its character. Try removing a section along a parallel wall for repair material, and fill that area in with the closest match you can find. This will avoid the need for remilling of the groove. All pieces should span at least three joists when patching. The end joints must rest on a joist, therefore if the joists are on 12 inch centres, the minimum length would be 24 inches.
You will need to cut the bottom of the groove off the replacement piece in order to insert it, so use a good construction adhesive along this edge to avoid movement of the replacement board.
If you are not planning on re-finishing the floor, at least this method will provide a matching finish to the balance of the floor, except for the sacrificial area.