Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bit by the alligator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:52 pm 
New User

Just got done applying my final coat of Parks oil based poly and it would appear I'm going to have some serious alligatoring in the finish.

This final coat was a clear satin applied using a 3/8 inch nap white dove roller.

Let my give you my overall finishing sequence.....started with two coats of Parks gloss applied with a pad and things looked great...sanded then applied a coat of satin...hoped it would be my final coat but things looked streaky (this was also applied using a pad).

Waited 24 hours and decided to use the roller after reading several posts on this site and hoping to lessen any chance of streaking...when applying with a roller there were a good many surface bubbles (definitely more than there were using a pad)....fortunately the number of bubbles has lessened but unfortunately there appears to be pretty serious alligatoring of the finish.

It has been a couple of hours since I finished up so I don't think this problem is going away on its own.....what should I do now????

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:35 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Allow the finish to fully dry. At least 24 hours. I would wait longer if you can. Then the floor will need to be thoroughly abraded (sanded, screened). I don't mean down to the raw wood but just to smooth the finish coat. If you can use a buffer, screen the floors well with 220 screens until the floor and finish are smooth and dull. Hand sand areas you can't reach with the buffer. Then recoat. If you got good results with a foam pad, then use that. Not all polyurethanes roll well. Satin finishes are notorius for getting streaks. This is due to uneven application. The finish must be applied very evenly. A difficult thing to do, even for experienced pros. Your spread rate should be about 500 sq.ft. per gallon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:21 pm 
Prized Contributor

Wait longer before applying additional coats.

Make sure it is not real cold(above 65ยบ, for sure)

Don't apply very thick coats. Multiple thin coats are better.

Don't try and thin out the oil finish.

Do that and you will avoid gator skin.

Streaks can be caused by, not stirring the finish good enough.
Applying in sunlit rooms.
Finish not going down evenly
Air movement or high temps, causeing the finish to dry quickly and not flow out, also making drag marks over from a wet edge pulled over a dry one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:51 pm 
New User

Thanks guys for the info....I do have a follow up question on something floor guy said.

Floorguy mentions alligatoring can be caused by applying too thick a coat....on the other hand he says you shouldn't thin out the oil finish. Does he mean (I'm not sure who this message will be posted to) I shouldn't thin my oil poly with say mineral spirits in an attempt not to apply too thick a finish.

If so then how am I supposed to apply a thin finish without in fact thinning the finish.......I hope this makes sense to those know about these things???

Thanks

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:06 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Talking about two different things. No, do not add mineral spirits (paint thinner) to your poly and #2, use the recommended coverage as expressed as the "spread rate" which is typically 500 sq. ft. per gallon for oil based polyurethanes. This means not applying too thick of a film in one coat. EI: two thins coats are better than one thick coat.