Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black Stain Mishap
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:11 pm 
New User

We hired a local contractor to stain the floors in our antique home (Miniwax True Black). We love the color but are really worried about the texture. Now that 24 hours have passed, the stain seems "off" and appears to be very shiny and blotchy in areas.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might relay the problem to our contractor? Here are a few photos: https://imgur.com/a/z0NzPuB

It should be noted that polyurethane has not yet been applied. Thanks, in advance, if you are reading this post and have any feedback you are willing to share. Have a great weekend!

Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Black Stain Mishap
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:56 am 
Prized Contributor

To have areas where the shine does not match after the stain has dried is not unusual. It will even out after the first two coats have been applied. I hope you will be having water-based poly applied. Regular poly that ambers can have a green looking tint on a black stained floor.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Black Stain Mishap
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:48 am 
New User

Thanks Pete! I really appreciate your time and advice. It is our first time owning an old home with original hardwoods so didn't know what to expect. I'm glad to hear that it should even out. Also, I'm 99% sure they are planning to use regular poly so we will politely ask for water based.

Profile E-mail