Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blending in to a Streetshoe finish
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:35 am 
New User

Hi all, first post here.

When our red oak flooring was installed 30 years in the dining room ago it was stained a medium brown, and then I installed corner cabinets. Later we had additional red oak installed in the rest of the house and all of the hardwood was finished with Streetshoe (no stain). The dining room was sanded and made to match the new hardwood.

Fast forward to last weekend where removed the cabinets and revealed the original darker floor. I sanded out the old finish and want to blend it into the Streetshoe finish. Probably this is where I should have tested...but anyway I got some Parks Pro Finisher (clear, satin) from Home Depot and put down a couple coats. The Streetshoe is much more golden in tone than Parks. While it doesn't need to be perfect, the color difference is noticeable.

Suggestions? Can I add a color/tint on top of the Parks now and then add more Parks? Or do I need to start over suck up and get Streetshoe? Total area is only about 10 sq, feet.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Blending in to a Streetshoe finish
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:10 am 
Prized Contributor

Over time the wood surface will develop a patina as the wood and finish oxidize. You can try to match the color with another finish, but if the whole floor is sanded to bare wood the color will not match the same as the aged surface, now. It takes a lot of time to get a patina on the surface. The coats of finish that you have applied will become more of an amber color over time as light penetrates into the wood surface. I would call it a day since the surface will be protected by the finish that is there now. You won't get a perfect match.

Profile E-mail