Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blue Stain
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:35 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I got a request to stain a floor blue and after a few hours of calls and googling i still don't really know of a good way to achieve that color. I've seen a good amount of pictures of a nice deep blue but really have no idea how it was achieved

One option so far that i would obviously have to test out first is diluting blue paint to a 50-50 with mineral spirits but im VERY skeptical of that looking anything like a stained floor. The other, well not sure if it will mix together but thought of finding a blue hair dye and see if it will mix with a natural stain? Waterbase stains are my absolute last resort but i am willing to experiment with those if i must. Any ideas on how others have done this???

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Blue Stain
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:04 pm 
Prized Contributor

I have used a Glitsa Blue stain to match a carpet color. They used to also sell Canary yellow and Mint green. Now less colors are offered.
I would find the blue color that you like then thin with neutral oil to get the right consistency and opaqueness. The stain you make will be mostly neutral.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Blue Stain
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:25 pm 
Valued Contributor

You can either tint your own stain or have someone tint for you . at a place like Woodcraft , you can buy Transtint brand dyes and mix them into almost anything to create a stain color or even tint a finish .
Another option is to use Rubio Monocoat .They offer all kinds of colors and there might be a possibility of custom colors or mixing some of their colors together to get what you want .

Profile E-mail