Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blue tape peeled off poly! Help!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:15 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hello, I had a contractor over doing some work (not floor related). He put down contractor paper to protect my HW floors (refinished about 1 year ago). And he used blue painters tape to hold the paper down for about a week or so while he worked.

Today he peeled all the paper and tape up and I almost fainted when I found that the tape had pulled up the finish on my floors in big strips!!!

My wife and I are sick with dissapointment that are new floors seem to be ruined. Is there any way to fix (or at least hide) this? My contractor said he is willing to help fix it since it was his fault, but frankly, I don't want him back in my house.

Can I "paint" on some new polyeurothane? Can I use one of those floor refinisher products? We *really* appreciate any help anyone can give us.

We have a 3-day old baby at home so refinishing the whole floor like we did 1 year ago is not an option at this point.

THANK YOU!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:43 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I havent run into blue tape peeling off 1 yr old poly.. I have had it leave a residue, that is able to be cleaned up. I have also seen it discolor the floors as well as all the areas that are covered. Can you get a few good pictures of it, so we can help better?

I would imagin a buff and recoat would be the most it would take to repair it... But it may need sanding (I knid of doubt that though)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:23 pm 
Prized Contributor

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but your contractor, although he left the tape on the finished flooring, it is not his fault. Your finger needs to be pointing at the guy that refinished your flooring, a year ago. You have an adhesion claim with your sand & finish guy!!! Floor finish should not peel!!!! There is a contaminant under the finish, or he over sanded the floor, burnishing it, before he applied the finish.

The only fix, is a complete resand and refinish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:51 am 
Prized Contributor

I had that happen to me recently. Blue tape pulled of the clear finish while I was cutting out existing hardwood and put in some slate. The problem is the finish. Call your sand/finish guy back to look at it.

I fixed mine using dewaxed shellac and then more finish. but that was just a band-aid type of repair. I warned the homeowner first that I had some major concerns about this finish before I touched it. Found out that it only had one coat and applied way too heavy.

Profile E-mail