Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BLUSHING
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:27 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

have you guys heard of this phenomenon with acid cures?

I have, and it won't happen again!!

I think it would even happen with a poly.

It is when you are final coating and the solvents that are used in the finish dissipate upwards and fall back down on the floor if there is too much:

Humidy
Cold air
Inadequate ventilation

The result in my case was that the semi gloss acid curing oil based glaze of debris free perfection ended up looking like a twilight zone matte oil modified waterbased urethane...DUN DUN DUUUUUUN :x (ps the homeowner loved it :roll: literally)

Any one heard of this, got any bullet proof set ups for ventilation and heat without sacrificing pristine final coat settings?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:09 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Jobsite conditions always effect how a finish can dry and cure. It's best to have the jobsite at near normal living temp and humidity, which is 65 to 75 degrees F and 40 to 60 % RH. Lacquers are notorious for blushing from cold and damp, where they trap humidity in the finish. I do not use acid curing finishes anymore, too dangerous. But when I did, one of the requirements was to open some windows about one hour after the coat had been applied, to allow the solvents to escape. So, make sure the temp and humidity are at normal conditions prior to coating. Then before applying the finish, close all windows and doors (so no air flow across the floor) and turn off HVAC. Apply finish and wait an hour (outside). Then open some windows halfway to ventilate the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:50 pm 
Valued Contributor

I haven't seen urethane blush on a floor in the 15 years I have been doing it but it is possible.

I typically see blushing happen with spraying urethanes or lacquers whether it be instruments, furniture,etc.

I coated a beach home some years ago with an oil based poly and due to massive humidity and the ocean being right in the back yard, it took literally 3 days for the first coat to dry. But the coat itself did not blush. it simply took a ridiculous amount of time to dry.

If a coat of urethane has blushed, you either have to blush erase it by re activating it , which I do not know if it is possible or you have to screen / buff through the coat if practical to remove it.

Profile E-mail