Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bollinger book and borders
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:25 pm 
New User

Over the years I've installed a few solid wood floors in areas of my homes because I love the look. I recently picked up a used copy of Bollinger's "Hardwood Floors" to see if there was something I was missing.
What I'm not understanding and need help with is his "flooring with borders" concept. He is screwing down a border and filling the field with no allowance for expansion, yet elsewhere he speaks of the need for expansion areas on the perimeter. This seems like an invitation for trouble to me but that's why I'm asking you all for your sage advice. I searched the archives but must have used the wrong criteria as nothing turned up

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Bollinger book and borders
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 am 
Prized Contributor

The resin for expansion gap is to anticipate failure of the floor because of a water episode. If the floor gets flooded it will expand crating tons of pressure outward until the flooring buckles and the fasteners fail. If the flooring expands by absorbing enough water to push against the walls with no expansion gap the pressure can damage the plate that the walls are built on.
A border will confine the field and can cause cupping if there is a change of moisture content. There will be no catastrophic failure because of cupping which is caused from each board expanding and pressing against a neighbor,causing the edges of the boards to lift slightly because the way the boards are made where the top of the board touches before the bottom edge of the board touches which helps to relieve some of the pressure.. If the floor does cup the field is usually oriented in the traffic pattern of the room which mitigates wear from traffic. Traveling across the field or border will tend to wear the finish more than traveling in the direction which the flooring is laid. Of course a hardwood floor is always an invitation for trouble from a flood. A skilled mechanic should have the experience and know about acclimation to anticipate minor moisture issues.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

Seen videos of him screwing and gluing. The stuff ain't gonna move especially if the field is run at a diagonal. I have one of his books too.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 am 
Worthy Contributor

So I picked up the Bollinger book the other day on Amazon, I found it pretty insightful if somewhat dated by this point. He talks a lot about strip flooring, parquet and older plank flooring methods from the 90's; it would be great if there was a more up to date book that covered engineered floors (glue down and floating applications), vinyl floors, and laminate flooring. I couldn't find any other books on flooring applications on Amazon, maybe someone here can make a recommendation? I like having resources I can point to while backing up my warranty claims (like the NWFA causes and cures booklet).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

WestonKris wrote:
So I picked up the Bollinger book the other day on Amazon, I found it pretty insightful if somewhat dated by this point. He talks a lot about strip flooring, parquet and older plank flooring methods from the 90's; it would be great if there was a more up to date book that covered engineered floors (glue down and floating applications), vinyl floors, and laminate flooring. I couldn't find any other books on flooring applications on Amazon, maybe someone here can make a recommendation? I like having resources I can point to while backing up my warranty claims (like the NWFA causes and cures booklet).

Check out Charles Peterson's book 'Wood Flooring'. May not provide all the info you are looking for but it's a very good and thorough book.

Profile E-mail