Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bona Mega Gloss
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:42 am 
New User

I'm refinished a very soft floor it's even softer than fur and I had issues with swirls in the finish so the customer wasn't happy and I ended up resanding it but now I'm back to buffing it again and I started buffing with 80 grit leaving some scratches but it flattened the floor nicely then I buffed with 120 grit which left less scratches then now I've buffed it with 150 and the scratches are very minor next to none but I'm just worried since the wood is so soft that it still will leave scratches being that it's getting the gloss finish and I'm getting ready for stain and the wood scratches super easy and I plan on putting Bona Mega gloss. What grit should I be buffing the bare wood with on my multi head to prevent seeing any swirls from the buffer through the hi gloss? And also what do I buff with before the final coat for best results with the gloss since it's quite a bit more picky than satin? Really don't wanna mess this up a second time i've lost an unreal amount of money on this job already. Advice would help me a lot if anyone has answers thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bona Mega Gloss
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:30 am 
New User

First off gloss is going to magnify everything.
I would have cut it with 40 then 80 then 100 on big machine.Alternate directions every time you switch grits.
Random orbit sand everywhere edger went with 80 grit.use a trouble light with this to help see light scratches your are trying to remove. Change this paper often.
Polish with 120-150 , keep buffer moving, once screen has dulled go over where you started with it new. If job is over 5-600 ft flip screen midway.
Vacume it up and water pop, this helps stain go in evenly and dissolve away any scratches. Let water dry completely. A fan helps.
Put your 2 coats of mega on , make sure heat is down in house, finish is cool, finish levels better & gives you more working time.
If you are seeing swirls in finish you have polished between coats with too course of screen or paper.
You can put your first coats on of satin, buff with 220 grit sticky back paper then clean up for final coat with gloss.
Good luck, you can do it.

Profile E-mail