Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bona Sheen Question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:58 am 
New User

New user to the forum. Lots of good info here.

Have a job where we applied Bona Traffic Satin over stained American Cherry. Several months later we were called back to repair damage by an electrical contractor to a board in the Great Room. Lots of natural light coming from large windows (within 2' of the floor to 18' tall).

We did the repair successfully. Applied (well-shaken) Bona Traffic Satin to the several boards involved. Called back because the sheen does not match the existing floor. She really likes the sheen of the existing floor but not of the repair. The repair is more "matte" than the main area. We coated the repair again several times adjusting sanding and application techniques just to make sure. Also mixed a little semi-gloss and satin in the end. We ended up much closer in sheen than the initial repair, but not enough to completely satisfy the homeowner. In retrospect, I may have refused to repair in that area (really was not that bad of a ding) or really made sure she understood the possiblities of sheen match, etc. but I was not present when the initial conversation happened. I have told her that we have done all we can do short of recoating the entire area, and now here concern is that the new sheen will look like the repaired area. (which she does not like)

We also did a repair in her kitchen which was more major (appliance guy rolled the refer out and dented the floor) and she is very happy with that. If I look really close, I can see a sheen difference there too, but the lighting is such that she can't see it.

Any comments suggestions on both the challenge of the sheen differences, as well as the customer expectations would be appreciated. Is it reasonable to expect a repair in that situation to come out okay or are sheen challenges like this to be expected and we should just refuse to do a repair in an area with that much light.

Any suggestions of how to match the sheen better, or is it just recoat the floor (1,250 sq.ft)

Thanks! Phil

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Bona Sheen Question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:24 am 
Prized Contributor

Phil, My s&f knowledge is limited, so I wouldn't attempt to answer your direct questions. But I just had to throw this out there in reference to the ding area. I recently purchased the Taylor Wood Doctor, and have practiced quite a bit in the shop. I would consider this kit, although about 275 bucks, it's been a life saver on dings and dents caused by other trades, and one narley homeowner's trophy ding. With a little practice you can match color, grain, and sheen right on. But it wouldn't have helped you with the appliance roller indentations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:55 am 
Valued Contributor

Your problem isn't uncommon. Many water based finishes like traffic can show different sheens in situations like repairs. The main cause of seeing a matte touch up is because you aren't able to put a thick enough build on the smaller repair area. Bona Traffic is great finish but very sensitive to air flow in the house and how heavy or thin it is applied. If you apply it too thin , the flatteners don't have enough time to sink because the traffic gasses off to quickly.The only solutions are to coat the repair with a very heavy coat, as heavy as possible without the finish running or to re coat the whole room.

Also, you want zero air flow in the house.If air is moving across the room from cross ventilation, you get the same kind of problem or even blotchiness ( Shiny as well as dull areas) So in these cases, I warn the customer about possible sheen issues in my proposal and have them sign it. I also recommend they consider re coating the whole room

When doing repairs, I try to tape the edges of the boards with blue tape , lay the heaviest possible coat on the boards that is possible and the immediately remove the tape. Do not leave the tape on the floor or the traffic will stick to it and tear as you pull the tape .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:58 am 
Valued Contributor

One other note. I forgot to mention that humidity can affect sheen as well as temperature. Those are factors that I mention to the homeowner and if the house is climate controlled, I usually don't have humidity problems.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:09 am 
New User

Paul,
I know this has been a long time, but I appreciate your input. We are planning to go back in Sept. and recoat the room.
All the best!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:24 pm 
New User

You're going back after 2 years & recoating? I hope you are getting paid for it. I've had the same original problem w/ Traffic. Each particular job has it's own intricate problems. On last coats try & save a bit to touch up w/ too. I've been getting tired of Traffic for a while now. Basic gives a nice sheen. I don't totally trust mixes of Traffic. I have coated too many. I've watched their MSDS sheets for many years. I've sourced all listed materials. It is particularly a problem for buff & coats. Clean w/ anything you want. I'd never guarantee a perfect one coat.

Profile E-mail