Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bona Traffic Antislip Dries Too Fast - Help!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:47 pm 
Newbie Contributor

My first bottle of Traffic Anti-slip, bought 5 months ago and opened to test. Did one stair step for testing, on top of Bona Mega, zero problems, all ok.

Today, trying to apply traffic-antislip on top of General Finishes stain on my stairs, having huge drying and skinning over problems.
I thought maybe just first coat, but nope, second coat as well. If I brush once too many, it peels off because it sets so quick.

Traffic jug has white blobs inside of it that disappear when mixing with hardener. Little white oval bumps get created almost instantly when brushing it on the steps.
Bona Mega works perfect over this stain, so I doubt it's the stain.. but, I tried the Bona Traffic on top of primed baseboard and no clumps came out like on the steps. I think it is likely because I put a thicker amount, since it was a small surface and my brush was loaded.. otherwise I can't explain it. Even second coat of traffic had the same problem on the steps, and the stain is no longer involved in the second coat.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Is it just me putting too little of it or taking too long to brush it out? I am applying it with a brush but maybe I should pour it on the step first then spread it out?

I take about 50 seconds per step and go back and forth 3-4 times over the same spot, but apparently that's too long/too many times.. with Bona Mega i have zero issues with this speed though.

Could my bottle be expired and drying too fast because of this?
I am mixing 1:10 , basically 20ml hardener to 200ml.

Any helps is appreciated.. I have more steps to do and I hope I can keep the bumps away.. I am sanding between coats to get rid of them, but it's not ideal. It dries hard quite fast, so within 2 hours I can sand no problem and it's a tough finish compared to Mega.

I've never seen this clumps before in clearcoating.. I can prevent the peeling/skinning over, but the little clumps seem impossible to keep away. They're thin and long whiteish ovals, 2-3mm in size.. it dries clear in the end, but as a visible bump.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Bona Traffic Antislip Dries Too Fast - Help!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:00 am 
Prized Contributor

Some times the satin agent will settle to the bottom of the bottle. I strain the finish with a paint strainer. Some finishes allow for adding water to the mix to slow drying. Spraying the finish will solve some application problems.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:15 am 
Newbie Contributor

Pete A. wrote:
Some times the satin agent will settle to the bottom of the bottle. I strain the finish with a paint strainer. Some finishes allow for adding water to the mix to slow drying. Spraying the finish will solve some application problems.

I don't think Bona traffic allows for adding water. I read more online and there are a few recommendations, like making sure there are no drafts. I had a little bit of draft, so that would cause quick drying, looks like I have to close all windows when applying.

Also, I was able to get a 3rd and 4th coat with no clumps, but when I put it on the first and second coat, the clumps came out a little.

I am guessing the traffic settles in the wood grain, and the the brush pulls it out so that's why the clumps always has the thin long shape. It could very well be something to do with the agents in the mix settling in the grain, because looking at the Bona traffic unmixed is not an even color, it's more milky in some spots and more translucent in other spots, almost like it's not blended/mixed.

I have no idea if this is normal or not though.. the product is working, but the finish is almost matte, it's not very much satin... I was hoping for a little more shine.

I have no idea what to do now, if I should get a new bottle, or maybe the new bottle will have the same problem. Maybe I got an expired bottle to begin with, but now to tell the manufacture date?? They say 1 year shelf life, but no date on it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 am 
New User

As the previous poster added, run product through a filter first. I usually cut a pair of panty hose up and put over bona' s crappy filter with an elastic.
If it's skinning over then it's usually too warm. Put finish in fridge the night before.
Don't use a paint brush, you need to get product on quickly and evenly, use a proper applicator pad.

Profile E-mail