Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bona Traffic HD over wet ClassicSealer?
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:34 am 
New User

The short version - my contractor installed Bona Traffic HD on top of the ClassicSeal after the sealer had only been drying for 30 minutes.

We're having our 2 1/4" red oak floors refinished. Once they were sanded, we really liked the look of the wood, so we looked for a finish that would keep us as close to it as possible and still provide good protection. After some research, we landed on Bona ClassicSeal with Bona Traffic HD extra matte.

Our contractor started the finishing process today. He started by applying the ClassicSeal. Per the bottle this should dry for 2-3 hours. However, within 30 minutes I noticed he had gone back into the house and started applying the first coat of Traffic HD finish.

When I asked if it was too soon to be applying the finish on top of the seal, he said the sealer was already dry. I asked him to double check and after feeling the floor he admitted there were some "tacky" spots, but insisted it was OK to continue installing.

Could this cause any issues? I'm concerned this could affect the durability or clear/matte look of the finished result. He insists he has installed this way before, but considering the price of these products I'm hesitant to ignore the manufacturer's directions based on his experience.

Thanks for any insights!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood