Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bona traffic is peeling like fingernail polish
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 pm 
New User

We just had our prefinished hardwood floors buffed and Bona traffic applied and allowed to cure 24 hours prior to walking or moving furniture back. We also have not had any rugs put down but were not told we could not but reading that we should not for 7 days. Problem is that in some areas the bona is peeling already. It will be a nightmare to do process over again but I'm thinking the guys who did the application may not have mixed properly? Any advice?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Bona traffic is peeling like fingernail polish
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:18 am 
Prized Contributor

There is an adhesion problem for the finish to peel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:20 pm 
New User

Thank you, but what could be the reasons of an adhesion problem? My contractor doesn't necessarily say it's his fault as he says they do all the right things however I'm not sure it's ours or his or a fluke. if it happened with no furniture or traffic over the couple of areas I have found I can't say we did it but the other obvious reason would be the surface was not able to handle the application for whatever the reason. I'm afraid I can't get it corrected and it was expensive to do in the first place.

Before we try to fix or I pay in full I need to know what I'm up against so we all don't continue to make mistakes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:28 pm 
Prized Contributor

That's usually from the surface being contaminated with something like a floor polish or wax.Still not your problem as they should have made certain the surface was not contaminated after buffing.
What did they buff it with or was it a screening? I take it was not a complete sand and refinish.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 am 
Worthy Contributor

I agree w/ Stephen. It sounds like there was something on the surface of wood - some sort of wax or film or something. This could be due to cleaning products used over time (e.g. if you ever used a product to make your floors look shiny or using improper cleaning product that has wax or oils). When this happens, a screen & recoat won't work as it won't adhere properly (and you need to fully sand floors). See this article: What is a screen and recoat. http://theflooringgirl.com/blog/hardwoo ... -mean.html

As Stephen mentioned, the flooring contractor should have been able to detect this.

Bona Traffic was right product to use, esp over prefinished floors. Generally over prefinished, when you do a screen & recoat, you need 2 coats of poly (not sure if they did 1 or 2).

Also, 24 hrs is sufficient to walk on it, but I'd recommend 2-3 days before furniture returned and 2 weeks for area rugs.
http://theflooringgirl.com/blog/how-lon ... o-dry.html

Also, did you do any painting? And, if so were floors covered for a while. I'm guessing not based on your description, but I did see that happen one time when painters covered the floors for 2 weeks and I had someone write into my website w/ a similar story.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:16 pm 
New User

Sorry I've been somewhat preoccuppied and hoped the peeling would stop and stay in that one area which it has as far as I can tell. The floors were buffed as we did not feel it had enough wood to sand and restain without damage so this Bona Traffic was decided to be used, and it looks great, except the one area is peeling. After a week of waiting it has not gotten worse nor better. There are only two spots in other areas that I have found so I'm thinking it was the application. We did have a Bona Polish years ago, but used Bona Polish Remover, twice and have had the floor buffed two other times afterward to remove all the polish and cleaners and it looked dull and lifeless but we were afraid to put anything down and called seven professionals to get job right. The floor person never asked anything other than what I clean my floors with and we use the Bona hardwood floor cleaner and he said perfect. They also didn't give me instructions about furniture or rugs except wait 24 hours which we did, I still have not put rugs as I'm afraid. He also only put one coat down, not two or three as I see is suggested by Bona and others. How to redo that area I have no clue other than I read it can be done and Bona has product to do so but fear now what to do.

Profile E-mail