Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bona Traffic Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:57 am 
New User

I am about to use "Bona Traffic" for the first time. I have experience with other waterbased sealers.

The instructions say "Apply a Bona sealer or Bona stain and 2 coats of Bona Traffic HD.". Can I apply Bona Traffic directly over my stain? Or do I need another sealer between the stain and traffic? I am not using a Bona product for my stain.

The container says "350-400 square feet per gallon". Assuming I use 2 coats, does that mean I need 2 gallons to do 350-400 square feet, or only 1 gallon?

I've been applying sealers by hand with a brush, which is very time consuming. Can anyone recommend a better tool?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Bona Traffic Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:57 pm 
Worthy Contributor

you can apply it over sealer or stain, doesn't have to be bona brand, but I doubt they would put "apply over duraseal stain" on their bottle.
Any stain is fine as long as its dry.

350-400 is a goal to shoot for per coat. we use a roller, average is just about 400 per coat, we have put it on at 200 per gallon before. The more on the floor the better it flows

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:39 am 
Worthy Contributor

Quote:
The container says "350-400 square feet per gallon". Assuming I use 2 coats, does that mean I need 2 gallons to do 350-400 square feet, or only 1 gallon?

You'll need to buy at least two gallons to do 2 coats on 350-400 square feet.

I've been applying sealers by hand with a brush, which is very time consuming. Can anyone recommend a better tool?[/quote]

It's time consuming, but you can control it. Learning how to use any kind of applicator takes practice, and it's tough learning on your own floor. You can get a 6" brush at paint stores or flooring suppliers, and that will speed up the work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:22 am 
New User

How do I get a reply to my thread that I started for asking a question?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

I'm thinking it's this one...

post49581.html#p49581

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:15 pm 
New User

Ken Fisher wrote:
I'm thinking it's this one...

post49581.html#p49581

Yes please. I'm sorry if I posted it in the wrong spot. I tried to place it int he right spot the first time and reconsidered afterward.

If the picture of the spot isn't good enough for a good enough decision I can snap a better one with a professional camera.

I just don't want to get to that spot working my way towards to the back door and hit that spot and have issues with it not sticking. I put to much work in to it to do that so I'm trying to play it safe and ask. I'm thinking I need to spot sand that portion or area right there again don't I?

Thank you sir.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:13 pm 
New User

Just use Bona Traffic and love it! I used it based on the recommendations (on this site) I used a 1/4 mohair roller. It is critical that you use reflective light from a window to check that you didn't leave any puddles or missed any spots.

There are a few videos that you can google and find out how to roll it on. Big point is to lift/ feather as you end. I also back rollered everything in one direction. I put two coats down (4hrs apart) and waited 24 hours and sanded with 150 paper and then tacked with a damp microfiber towels. No sealer is necessary with stain, if fact it may cause problems. I was also amazed at how fast it dried. I waited for next to perfect conditions to do my floor. 70-75degrees and 34%humidity. Good Luck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:30 pm 
New User

Red55 wrote:
Just use Bona Traffic and love it! I used it based on the recommendations (on this site) I used a 1/4 mohair roller. It is critical that you use reflective light from a window to check that you didn't leave any puddles or missed any spots.

There are a few videos that you can google and find out how to roll it on. Big point is to lift/ feather as you end. I also back rollered everything in one direction. I put two coats down (4hrs apart) and waited 24 hours and sanded with 150 paper and then tacked with a damp microfiber towels. No sealer is necessary with stain, if fact it may cause problems. I was also amazed at how fast it dried. I waited for next to perfect conditions to do my floor. 70-75degrees and 34%humidity. Good Luck!

I read through this extensively. You're saying I shouldn't use poly on the stain then people?

Thank you for your response by the way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
New User

thewebsiteisdown wrote:
Red55 wrote:

I read through this extensively. You're saying I shouldn't use poly on the stain then people?

Said no such thing. (personally I'm old fashion in that oil first than water never oil on water, but products change) Bona does not recommend both a stain and sealer. And there have been reports of peeling if using both the stain and sealer. Use stain (allow to dry) then Traffic. And most importantly follow manufacturer's recommendations -that will give you the greatest amount of lea way.

Call the Bona support if in doubt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:02 am 
New User

Red55 wrote:
thewebsiteisdown wrote:
Red55 wrote:

Said no such thing. (personally I'm old fashion in that oil first than water never oil on water, but products change) Bona does not recommend both a stain and sealer. And there have been reports of peeling if using both the stain and sealer. Use stain (allow to dry) then Traffic. And most importantly follow manufacturer's recommendations -that will give you the greatest amount of lea way.

Call the Bona support if in doubt.

I just put one coat under where my base cabinets will be of high build poly from min wax. It did not, pull up any of the stain and it looks beautiful I might add. I'm going to set in my new base cabinets and oak counter top, get the counter top all shiny and sealed as well and then start sanding that spot that no one has answered me yet about by the way, and re-stain that then start to bring the poly up everywhere, smooth it out or even it out how ever you want to say it lightly sand it then start re-coating.

I will post the pictures when everything is done
in the thread that no here answered me on.

Thanks for all the help....................

everyone........

lol wow.

Profile E-mail