Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BONA TRAFFIC VS STREETSHOE?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:24 pm 
New User

Anybody out there have experience with both?

Putting the stuff on 3-1/4" X 3/4" Maple:

Q1. I have been told that Streetshoe will amber (a little/like oil-base?). Is this true?

Q2. Someone else (finish retailer) stated that their sealer will amber it just a bit, which may actually make it a bit more attractive, and save some dough on the first two coats.

Q3. It is my understanding that Streetshoe was developed specifically for Maple - is this true also?

Q4. Is one measureably better than the other, when applied on site? If "yes" - why?

Thanks in advance for your opinions/help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:55 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Everything you've heard is false. Here's the FACTS:
Street Shoe was developed WAY before Traffic and uses a different catalyst.
Neither were developed for a particular wood species. Neither will amber over time. However, the wood underneath MAY change color or the sealers/stains used may change color. Street Shoe requires you use a sealer. There are different ones available that effect the appearence. Commercial Catalyzed sealer by Basic is water clear, like Street Shoe. You can use Emulsion as a sealer and that will impart an ambering appearence but it will NOT look like an oil-based polyurethane. Traffic says to use BonaSeal IF you are NOT staining the floor. If you are staining the floor, then traffic is applied directly over the stain. Regardless of what sales people tell you, the spread rate for both is similar. Bona wants you to apply Traffic HEAVY but one risks puddles that way. I prefer a three coat approach with Traffic at 500 ft. per gallon. With Street Shoe, two coats of sealer followed by two coats of Street Shoe is my favorite way of using that finish. As for durability, both will scratch but I found Traffic in a satin to show scuffing less. They are both premium, commercial waterborne finishes and will perform nicely in any residence.