Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BonaSeal or Bona DTS Sealer?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:58 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Anyone have any opinions on this. I understand the difference between Bonaseal and DriFast sealer, but I'm not sure what DTS brings to the table.

The installers I recently hired initially mentioned using DriFast sealer on the Brazilian Cherry we chose. I prefer the look of BonaSeal on the BC. Now, with the DTS, I'm not sure of the differences.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:07 pm 
Worthy Contributor

DTS is a waterbased Deep Tone Sealer. Using it makes the deep richness of the boards show (Almost like a nuetral/natual stain, but a shaed or two lighter)

The quick dry sealer is oilbased, you can go over it with waterbased finish also. It shows a deeper color (IMO) then the water based DST It makes the boards look like oil poly has been applied.

Bona seal is a waterbase sealer that has very little if any pigment and makes the boards appear lighter in color than both of the above sealers, It almost looks like clothed wood.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:24 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Thanks.

I am and was pretty sure that I didn't want the DriFast. As for the DST and the Bonaseal, I'm just not sure. Your comment is making me lean a little more towards the DST though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:48 pm 
Worthy Contributor

it will give you much more depth than the bona seal, but not as much as the oil fast dry stuff. and the stuff is the opposite of inexpensive. double the price of the bona seal, and 3 times the price of the oil stuff.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:01 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I'm showing both the BonaSealer and the DTS at $36.63/gal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:05 pm 
Worthy Contributor

just came from a distributor today, bona rep was there told me 83.00 He may have mispoke/or I may have mis listened (he was telling me about the prep system durring the same convorsation), so maybe thats what he was reffering too). but it turned me off at that point. Seeing as the same results could be found with a nuetral stain, and you wouldnt get the grain raise that you would with the waterbased DTS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:01 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Interesting. Thanks. As the end user though, do I really car about the grain raise if it's going to be sanded between coats anyway by the finishers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:10 pm 
Worthy Contributor

most likey not it would all be attended too before the final coat, But with a brazialan cherry floor, Id want the depth of the oil sealer (IMO) really helps show the beauty of the wood.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:13 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Oh. Okay. Well maybe I'll go that route then. That's what the installers initially suggested, but I wasn't convinced. Maybe I should reconsider then. I didn't care about the extra $25.00 for the DTS, but if DriFast makes the floors look prettier and is cheaper . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:52 pm 
Worthy Contributor

DTS's sole purpose (IMO) and from what I gathered talking with the rep is, to achive the look of nuetral stain (oil based) without the odor and VOC Seeing as you are using a waterbased product.
From the samples he showed me it was about the look of 75% of the depth of an oil based stain.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:25 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Thanks. I feel much more informed now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:33 pm 
Newbie Contributor

The only prob i have had with DTS is it tends to alligator if you follow the directions to the T. I recomend if you are trying to put the sealer down (DTS) and the 1st coat of traffic or equivalent make sure you put a m/m on it to make sure the surface is dry. In my experience 2hours of dry time...even in a small area is not enough