Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Botched Job???
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:46 pm 
New User

Hey all! I had my hardwoods done a few months back and wanted to run the results by others. I am not pleased with the results and not sure how to proceed. I have found just about every sanding and finishing defect in the end product. At this point I am not out any money with the contractor as he did not collect money upfront. Not looking for a free meal here, but don't want to pay for something that is going to cost me in the future either. The house has 500 s.f. of existing and we added another 600 s.f. and end caps (have since redone those myself). I will let the pictures speak for themselves. As it stands I estimate the fix is approaching the original contract amount (maybe more) and not sure that the original contractor has the ability to fix this job if he did this to a floor with no defects to begin with. Thought? Is this acceptable? I have had some say sand and finish will take care of it, I have had others recommend partial replacement, and one person say rip all out and start new. Having floors done is awefully disruptive and not sure that I am wanting to do anything soon. I may just cut the loss with the original contractor and live with poor quality until I get around to refinishing them at a later date. I could bore you with all of the detail but will spare the pain for now.

Here is a link to the pics of what I was left with by a "professional": https://drive.google.com/open?id=1viQb_QoeO3Zte_NeZfNR0lTWw_iTf6hu

Notes:
-Wood was not acclimated/installed the same day as delivery
-No moisture testing was done during installation
-Poor sanding/finshing
-Feel that the job was rushed
-End caps were hideous (I replaced them myself)

Thanks in advance!

-Aubrey

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Botched Job???
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 pm 
New User

Link to Pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gZNbL ... s_hmO7JksL

Not sure what I did to the first link. :oops:

-Aubrey

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:41 am 
Valued Contributor

What's with the stairs?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 pm 
New User

JIMMIEM wrote:
What's with the stairs?

Poor sanding, drips, runs, uneven staining, missing urethane......I don't know how he thought leaving the stair tread end caps as he did was even remotely acceptable. I have completely redone them since the pictures were taken. The end caps were installed, and for some reason the contractor decided to stain prior to us making a stain selection. Of course his color was not close what we were wanting, so they had to sand and re-stain them. I contacted him the evening after they were stained the wrong color and he said they would be fixed. He contacted me at 9 am the next day saying they were sanded and ready to be stained the correct color. Sanding 14 end caps for refinishing would take more than a couple of hours, by my estimation it would take roughly a day to do a proper job. It appears to me that he was way too aggressive with the sanding which left the grain open.

-Aubrey

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:06 am 
Site Admin

Curious why you chose this contractor? Just asking.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:04 pm 
New User

Ken Fisher wrote:
Curious why you chose this contractor? Just asking.

He had done work for someon my wife works with. This person lives in a very very nice newer home and was pleased with the work. We had other bids and they all were in the ballpark of each other, just chose the wrong one!

Profile E-mail