Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brand new floor finish inconsistant
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am 
New User

Hi all,
I am about to move into a newly constructed home. It has Brazilian Cherry floors finished in-place. I was told it has an Aluminum Oxide finish. In general it looks good (during daylight hours when the light is diffused). However, if you look closly you can find large differences in the glossyness of the surface. It goes from glossy to looking like there is no finish. During the evening this is really noticable because there are lots of can flood lights. The installer seems to think this is normal. Yesterday he came in and put something on the floor and buffed it. It made the glossy parts more glossy and did little to the dull parts. In fact, I can now see swirl marks on the glossy part that, frankly, look bad. As far as they are concerned it is done.

My questions:
1) Is it common to have inconsistant glossyness in the type of floor/finish?
2) Is it done?
3) Is buffing an acceptable fix...or is the correct fix another coat of aluminum oxide?

Thanks,
Damon

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:19 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
1) Is it common to have inconsistant glossyness in the type of floor/finish?
2) Is it done?
3) Is buffing an acceptable fix...or is the correct fix another coat of aluminum oxide?

1) Is it common? Not for me. Is it acceptable? Not by my standards.
2) If you accept it, it's done.
3) Buffing with a polishing pad will not improve the sheen of a tough finish like that. With a wax or oil finish, yes. Not ceramic or alum. oxide though.
The flooring contractor may need to re-apply more finish, a recoat. It's normal to have some problems in job site finishing. You musn't expect perfection. However, if the appearence is below industry standards, then the floor needs to be repaired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:32 am 
New User

Gary,
Great info. I don't think I am being overly picky it just seems that of all the variables involved with the putting down a natural floor (natural=imperfect) the finish would be the most consistant. I don't think it is done and I will let them know (with more confidence).

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Damon