Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brand Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:52 pm 
New User

Im looking at putting down about 1500sq ft here in Phoenix AZ. The brands Im looking at are Duchateau (7$ sq ft), Ernest Hemingway (4$ sg ft), and Provenza (6$ sq ft) These are all 3 ply with large sawn wear layers 3mm-4mm. I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on these brands. These are all Chines made... but really what i'snt these days. I love Mirage but at 10$ sq ft its out of the question for my place. So yeah any thoughts on these brands? Thanks in advance and Happy Turkey Day!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Brand Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

Whats the total thickness your looking at? Have you checked Anderson, Owens and heck there are many other ones who manufacturer to U.S. standards. Do not buy foreign made engineered.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:54 pm 
New User

They are all 5/8". The DuChataeu has a 3 ply Canadian pine substrate. Ive looked at the Anderson but I don't really like the finish. Owens I have not seen however. The flooring store, Arizona Hardwood, said they have put down lots of the "euro" wood and have not had any problems arise... My problem is finding something for under 7$ in a finish I like.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:36 am 
Prized Contributor

The 3 ply sounds great especially if the plys are even thickness or top and bottom are. Thats called balanced construction. Out here some foreign made has issues with low rh and delamination, which should never happen. Look for one who claims the floor is constructed per ANSI/HPVA EF 09 American National Standard for Laminated Wood Flooring. That way you assured if the plys fail your covered. Otherwise they will simply tell you they never said it was constructed to that standard. It is a voluntary standard, especially as far as foreign manufacturers go.

Have you though of using a hard wax oli finish instead of poly or prefinished? I've had some sout here in my garage for almost a year now and the Rubio Monocoat seems to keep the wood from checking/splitting in low rh. It's pretty easy to apply the Rubio yourself if you get a presanded, even some manufacturers have it already on the wood. I believe it feeds the wood instead of just coating it.

Happy Turkey day!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:47 pm 
New User

So Ive been looking and looking. I have narrowed my search down to Maple and Oak. I find myself being drawn to the French Oak and how the floors are finished, more of a authentic wood look. I really dislike the plastic look of most prefinished floors and the hand scrape. With that said, I like the DuChataeu, Garrison French Connection, Mullican DuChataeu is hard oil, and the Garrison FC i think is prefinished uv ect... Ive seen some ugly stuff on here about the Mullican, but I really like the Mullican Castillian Oak Espresso. I also really like the PG Model, Candian flooring company, Completely different look - flat, smooth, rich ect...

What are your thoughts on these companies and/or brands. Also if you have or know of another company of higher quality that sells similar looks please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:24 pm 
Prized Contributor

Here is one that is made in the U.S.A., http://www.usfloorsllc.com/products/nav ... ed-floors/.

You can find it at your local Prosource in Phoenix. I believe there are 3 up there. You can use my name to get in and get my discount.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:27 pm 
New User

Stephen, Their line has some really great character! Thanks for the lead, i really appreciate it! I did notice in their spec sheets that they where made in China as well, and the line you linked to specifically was made in China but finished in USA. Is that a concern for you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 am 
Prized Contributor

the taxidermist wrote:
Stephen, Their line has some really great character! Thanks for the lead, i really appreciate it! I did notice in their spec sheets that they where made in China as well, and the line you linked to specifically was made in China but finished in USA. Is that a concern for you?

It's always a concern, thanks for pointing that out. I know they finish a few of their products here but I thought that was made in the states. At least it is partially made here and it has a limited lifetime structural warranty. I am still leary of anyone who is not putting the ASTM HVAP standard in writing though.

You can still go to Prosource and ask them which ones are made here with the standard.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:28 pm 
New User

Other than being from China, would you advise against any of those brands from your experience? ie mullican & garrison

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:49 pm 
Prized Contributor

I had a bad experience with the former. The client bought it on the internet though. I believe it was seconds but still in the brand name box. And that was solid beech.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:04 pm 
Prized Contributor

I just got off the flickr mail with WDFlooring and he said they make all the products on their site in engineered as well. I see they have a distributor up there in Phoenix.

Quote:
All our products are available in engineered (except the Reclaim). Contact jon@wdflooring.com for pricing.

http://www.wdflooring.com/consumer/c_products.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:34 pm 
New User

Awesome, I sent him an email. Ill let you know how it goes, thanks again!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

the taxidermist wrote:
Awesome, I sent him an email. Ill let you know how it goes, thanks again!

Yes their wood is awesome with the Rubio already applied. I will be taking his samples out with me tomorrow to a couple of homes, ones and old ranch style house another is a newer Santa Fe style.

Profile E-mail