Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brazilian Mesquite?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:03 pm 
New User

Does anyone know what other names Brazilian Mesquite goes by? I like the look of this product but I am not sure what to look for to compare vendors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Ut oh. Lumber Liquidators? They put any old name on some of their lines. Kinda looks like Amendoim. WILD guess.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... -solid.htm

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:27 pm 
New User

Yep, thats them. I like the look but wanted to check out other vendors based on what I have heard. I am guessing you are less than a fan.

Looks similar to the Amendoim but the grain seem to be different and there are more darker boards and the overall seems to be a littler darker in the brown hues with less prevalence of reds. Could just be the pictures though. I know the sample looked different in the store than at home. Could also be the finish but i was told there was no stain and the look was the natural color of the wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:57 pm 
New User

Actually based on the hardness shown as approx 63% harder than Northern Red Oak, that would put it around 1950-2100 hardness. Could Brazilian Mesquite be Merbau or Jarrah. Kind of looks like Jarrah to me. Not crazy about the red color change shown on the picture though....
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... jarrah.htm

hardness is in line with either Marbau or Jarrah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:28 pm 
Prized Contributor

Might be comparable to BR-111 Tiete Chestnut, from the looks of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:59 am 
New User

Floorguy, I sent you an e-mail yesterday. I am also in Austin. Would really appreciate any guidance regarding the area and the flooring industry. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:11 am 
New User

Floorguy wrote:
Might be comparable to BR-111 Tiete Chestnut, from the looks of it.

Much less flat brown than the Tiete Chestnut. It has a subtle redish hughe but much less than cherry. Also it appears to have a significant variance from board to board with some being rather dark and some lighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:38 am 
New User

I just wanted to share my LL experience as a layman sourcing and installing his own hardwood floor.

The Aztech Cherry product at LL is what I purchased, assuming it was the same as that listed on another hardwood flooring site, and going by the botatntical name of: Lonchocarpus, castilloi

Turns out, LL tells me the wood is Brazilian Oak with a gunstock stain, and so far I've been able to find two different species that go under that name. One of them is very hard with a 2200 janka rating, and the other soft, with a rating of 770. Good thing is they are both reported to be stable, as that is one reason I chose Aztech Cherry. I still don't know if the product has any allergy concerns (it obviuosly takes a stain pretty well).

Aztech Cherry seemed to be the optimum product: hard, stable, beautiful, no allergy concerns, and inexpensive- but now I have a product not like what I thought I bought.

Don't get me wrong, the wood is still beautiful - the milling might be questionable, there is definately lippage from one piece to the next, but I don't have expereince to compare that to other products to know if it is excessive or not. I will have to spend some extra time racking the floor to minimize the lippage.

Also, the finishing is a little sloppy. On some pieces the end micro-bevel is not fully covered with stain. Guess I can use those for end pieces ;^)

I'm waiting for LL to get me the botantical name of the wood I bought (how else am I going to know the proper moisture content). If they let me know I'll post it.

As for you, I would ask them to find out in advance - or spend the extra couple bucks at another place that sells you what they advertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:50 pm 
Prized Contributor

Kevin, I sent you a reply, yesterday evening.

If you reply by e-mailing me directly, instead of through hardwoodinstaller, I will have to sort you through my spam filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:16 am 
New User

I have not seen your message as of AM on 23rd. If you prefer, I can certainly limit messages to the board. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. I look forward to receiving your e-mail.

My search for the true nature of Brazilian Mesquite continues....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:01 pm 
New User

Just in case anyone ever does a search, Brazilian Mesquite seems to be Merbau. I took a sample to the a local dealer of wood products and matched it very closely.

example..
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... -plank.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:16 pm 
Prized Contributor

you have got to love the people in marketing giving these floors all those catchy names.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:59 am 
Prized Contributor

I tried to PM you from this message board, but I get this error message.

Could not connect to smtp host : 10060 : A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

I e-mailed you on the 21st @ 5:53pm It didn't bounce back, so I assume you finally got it. I sent it to the e-mail you used to register here. As your e-mail to me came through this website and not directly from you computer. Look for a message from Perry Wright

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Kevin:

Ever heard of these?

Store in Miami

AmberWood
AmarettoWood
GingerWood
Green IronWood
MochaWood
OliveWood
PeperWood
Redland Rose
TobaccoWood
RubbyTeak

PeperWood?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail