Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brazilian teak
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm 
New User

I found a prefinished brazilian teak floor and loved the sample. The problem is it only comes with a semi-gloss finish and I want a satin finish, so thinking about buying unfinished and having it clear coated. I read on this site that this type of floor can be tricky to finish because of the oil it contains and streaking may occur. Also, every sample I have seen in the prefinish looks different in color, so if I buy it natural, is there any way to know what you will get. Some I do not like. Another concern is I live in Michigan and don't know if this would be a could choice of wood because of our cold winters and humid summers. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Brazilian teak
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:18 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Another option would be to purchase the floor you like and have your contractor apply a couple coats of satin finish this would insure you got the color you were after. It is not too difficult to finish you just need to be certain that you finish is compatible. As far as being the right choice of flooring i would say no. We live in Montana cold winters not as humid summers as you, and we have seen several of these floors gap excessively due to swings in humidity. If you do recoat the floor you will likely void all warranties from the manufacture.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Brazilian teak
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:57 am 
New User

Thanks, will probably look for another wood, but have looked at so many and nothing looks as good.

Profile E-mail