Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brazilian Walnut 3/4 5" Hardwood Installation North Dallas
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 am 
New User

I am not sure why all Wood Stores in North Dallas discourages you install a Solid Hardwood Brazilian Walnut glue down on concrete? Homes with central cooling and heating would not have a problem in humidity, am I correct? Please advise ...

I acclimatized the Brazilian Walnut solid hardwood (3/4x5") for already 2 weeks (14 days), I am so confused as most of the advises I read online and contractors who came for pre-estimate discourages glued down. I don't have 1 1/2" room for floating, my only option is glue down. What is the best adhesive to use for 3/4x5" Solid Hardwood Brazilian Walnut? Please help ... I got an installer who knows how to do the job but don't have much knowledge of this type of wood.

Any input is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Brazilian Walnut 3/4 5" Hardwood Installation North Dallas
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:55 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Simple. Because you need to nail solid wood into a plywood subfloor! And, the wider it is, the more issues you'll have.

Anyone who installs this is voiding the warranty and yes, I would expect to have problems.

Debbie, The Flooring Girl
http://TheFlooringGirl.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:16 pm 
New User

The flooring girl are you saying it is better to glue down than nailed, as per you response "Because you need to nail solid wood into a plywood subfloor! And, the wider it is, the more issues you'll have."

My installer works for a contractor, he did so many glued down solid hardwood jobs but no knowledge about types of wood. I will save a lot of money if I don't go through the contractor, he will be doing the job anyways.

Thanks for your response.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:19 pm 
Prized Contributor

Two weeks may not be enough time for acclimation. This is a very dense wood and takes longer than oak to reach equilibrium with the conditions. Use a hygrometer to base your expansion/ contraction projection, then test the wood with an accurate moisture meter to see if the reading matches. I would hope you have a seasoned slab that has a moisture barrier under it. A glue that includes a moisture barrier is good insurance that less moisture can come through the slab. You will need to keep the same conditions throughout the life of the floor so it will be stable. A water-based finish may affect the floor if you rush the coating process.

Profile E-mail