Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BRUCE Merbau Nat. 1/2" Eng. Float and a 110 Gallon Fish
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:54 pm 
New User

I need some help with a fish tank question.

As you can tell by the subject I'm installing a Eng. Floating floor from Bruce flooring with a 110 GAL. fish tank. That equates to more than 1000lbs in a 5'x2' area on this floor I'm installing.

So, my question to you all is will this damage or do anything to the flooring.

Thank you all!!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:58 am 
Prized Contributor

Becareful floating a Bruce floor! The only Bruce floor spec'd to be floated, is the Coastal Woodlands collection, that is it. Do even try to glue the tongue & groove to float a Bruce hardwood!!!

Gluedown or staple ONLY!!!
Coastal Woodlands is a Floating ONLY.

The fish tank will be fine on a floating floor, as long as there is not another heavy piece of furniture on the opposite side of the room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:42 pm 
New User

It is a Coastal Woodlands line. Are you telling me to not do the tongue and grove glue method? Or were you saying don't attempt to if it wasn't the Coastal Woodlands line? Please explain with more detail.

Thank you for replying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:36 pm 
Prized Contributor

{CTR}EagleScout wrote:
It is a Coastal Woodlands line. Are you telling me to not do the tongue and grove glue method? Or were you saying don't attempt to if it wasn't the Coastal Woodlands line? Please explain with more detail.

Thank you for replying.

Don't attempt to if it isn't Coastal Woodlands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:53 am 
Worthy Contributor

WOW, I thought water weighed 8 lbs per gallon. So the fish, rocks and fish tank are pretty beefy.
All right... point taken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:00 am 
New User

Quote:

It is and I appreciate your feedback

Quote:
WOW, I thought water weighed 8 lbs per gallon. So the fish, rocks and fish tank are pretty beefy.
All right... point taken.

Actually if you want to get technical it weighs in at 8.345404lbs per Gallon. So, that equats to 917.4444lbs just in water. The tank along weighs at least 200lbs, not including the stand, substraight (gravel), rocks, filtering system, and of course fish.

I'm still nervous about setting this beast on my new floor. I just hope it doesn't leave a huge indentation in the flooring wherever it may be placed.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, if you have any other ideas or 'heads-up' ideas let me know.

:)

Post subject: Hmmmmm?!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:32 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

So EagleScout, how long have you been keeping fish? Had any spills, leaks, equipment failures and/or accidents? Most fish keepers I know have several interesting such stories, you?

Tends not to make for very pretty hardwood though, hmmm?

Some people never have any problems with their tanks, others have nothing but adventures. Let's hope you have a peaceful tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:44 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Folks set heavy items on wood floors all the time. The trick is not to damage the floor. Consider a base that spreads the weight over a large area instead of four small feet (if that is what you have). And perhaps a thin piece of felt under the base. Think of this. A piece of 3/4" marine grade birch plywood with 1/8" felt on the bottom and stained/finished on the top and sides. Have it slightly larger than your tank's base; say, by 1/2" all around. Then set your base and tank on that. This will dispearse the weight and protect the floors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Quote:

Now I'm confused.[/list]

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:46 pm 
Prized Contributor

Confused about what?

Coastal Woodlands is the only one in Bruces extensive products they make, that they feel can be installed as a floating floor. That is the only way it can be installed.

The other Bruce engineered, all have staple or gluedown. And some are gluedown only.