Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bruce Natural Reflections
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:55 am 
New User

Hi all...

Recently bought a house and the original owner was planning on installing wood flooring on the bedroom level, but never got around to it. He has left 600+ square feet of Bruce Nat. reflections 5/16 inch and the adhesive to install it.

I will be doing the install myself (First timer), on a 3/4 inch plywood subfloor which appears level (have not done too much excavation as of yet).

My question is whether to go ahead with the adhesive method, or rent a staple gun to install? Anyone have any experience or reccomendations on which wy is better?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice....

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:54 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I prefer stapling. It is faster, cleaner, cheaper. The floor runner works well with Natural Reflections. Stapling also allows you to work at your own pace. With glue, there's a time frame involved and the urethane adhesives are difficult to remove from the wood, not to mention that if you need to replace a board in the future, the stapled down floor will make the job much easier. My vote is for stapling :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:53 pm 
Valued Contributor

I concur with with Gary.
This tidbit,however,should be kept in mind; Floor preparation is doubly important when stapling. It is a very unforgiving method. Lots of goo under the wood can make up for some of the sharper highs and lows.

My 2,
CHU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:42 pm 

I concur! Need to have a real nice flat substrate. SAND THOSE SEAMS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:20 pm 
I say if ya got the glue use it! I doubt he is that interested in how fast it goes down. Besides why would he want to buy a stapler?

But then glueing that stuff is a test of ones patience. Have a lot of blue tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
But then glueing that stuff is a test of ones patience. Have a lot of blue tape.

Don't forget the wedges. I haven't heard of too many installers rejoicing over glueing down the Natural Reflections.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:07 pm 
Yes wedges. When I leave an unfinished job I like to nail down wedges overnight. Use plenty along the last row.
Sometimes I use then during the gluing process to keep a funky plank or two in place too. And believe me you will find slightly banana'd boards in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:20 am 
New User

Thanks All !

good advice and tips. I appreciate them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:05 pm 

I used to glue down wood to wood ( Hartco Kinsford Strip ) alot back when we still had chlorinated solvent adhesives like Bruce LP and Franklin 911. They were GREAT! About 4 hrs. of working time, because you waited for it to flash, there was little to no adhesive transfer on your hands, stuck like nobody's business, the glue that did get on the surface removed EASILY, terrific grab, you didn't spend all your time taping but installing! I could easily lay 3 to 4 hundred ft. in a day if the layout wasn't too complex. I really miss those old glues. :( I do not like urethane adhesives :x . They don't hold as well, IMO nor are they as easy to work with and cleanup is a hassle. It cuts my production in half. They don't smell as bad but what about all the thinner you're breathing in cleaning glue off the floor. What are you guys favorite adhesives? Don't say Bostick's Best; mention others that are easier to work with. What about latex/rubber? :? Thanks for letting me gripe :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:06 pm 
Prized Contributor

I have fallen in love with Taylor's 2071 Cross link adhesive.

It spreads nicely, and water clean-up.

I always hated the water clean up, acrylic adhesives in the past, but The Taylor has won my heart over.

There are some unstable spieces, I wouldn't use it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:37 pm 
Millenium has worked well for me.

http://www.parabond.com/products2.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:55 pm 

Floorguy, If a pro says they've fallen in love with a product, I listen! So much market hype and BS about various products it's hard to know whom to believe :roll: ; but a fellow installer gets my vote when it comes to honesty :!: I'll give Taylor a shot on my next glue down; my local supplier just started carring the Taylor line. Parabond's Millenium been around awhile, just another type of urethane adhesive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:25 am 
Valued Contributor

I think 2071 really is the best of both worlds,when it comes to adhesive.

It is almost like using a solvent based adhesive without all of the drawbacks(mess,odor etc.).At the same time,it is not loaded with water the way many acrylic urethanes tend to be.
I honestly have not figured out what the stuff is,chemically,but it works great.

I have used Millenium,as well. I prefer the Taylor product.