Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Buckled Engineered Hardwood - Glue Question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:10 pm 
New User

Hi,

I have engineered hardwood in my condo. I'm not sure whether it's freefloated or not. I don't think that it really matters for the problem I'm having. A single plank has buckled and one corner has risen up pretty significantly. However, it only seems to be the top layer of the engineered plank. I can see that the bottom ply of the pieces are still in place. I have no other damaged planks in the floor and its only this piece that's causing problems. I think because its just the top layer of the plank, I can glue it back down to the bottom layers and it should stay flat.

Given the size of the crack, I'm pretty confident that I can inject glue under the top layer without needing to drill a hole. I bought Elmers's ProBond Max, wood glue. My main fear is if the glue doesn't bond well, and the layer pops back up, it will be extremely difficult to get the layer seated back into position again, as I will have created an additional layer of dried glue between the top layer and rest of the plank.

I just want to know if anyone thinks there's a better fix for this. The floor is really light so gluing would definitely be best cosmetically. I really only have one-shot as the floor is discontinued and no replacement planks are available. Am I using the best possible glue for the job?

Thanks in advance!

Some pics are below. In the last photo you can see just how thin this top layer is, given the fact that the rest of the plank is still well-seated with the rest of the flooring makes me want to think the glue would work.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Buckled Engineered Hardwood - Glue Question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:16 am 
Prized Contributor

Thats a manufacturing defect if it's cleanly released from the bond line, no shearing of fibers. I wouldnt use a water based adhesive.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Buckled Engineered Hardwood - Glue Question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:14 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Yes, however mfg's stated after 5% they will honor claims. Unless you are dealing with a mfg whose client you bought the wood from and they wish to continue doing business with however you bought it from. Good Luck!!

Profile E-mail