Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Business
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 am 
Newbie Contributor

How's everyone finding it out there currently? We've had a couple decent months this summer, little ahead of last year overall. We added a line of adhesive's which we're having private labeled and that has been a real success. Trying to sell off a lot of dead stock in PF engineered products but the ENG. UNF business is still pretty decent.

How about you guys?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Business
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 am 
Newbie Contributor

We have been "comfortably busy" here in Tn. Nothing like the old days, but enough work to make money and sleep well at night. Seems like our customers aren't as reluctant to spend money as they were the last couple of years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

I've been busy with sanding and finishing since February. Not nearly as many big jobs as there used to be though. I'm doing okay but am finding that inflation has just about maxed out. It's becoming hard to charge enough for the average middle class customer. the only folks that have money to spend are the 3% of the country that has wealth .Luckily, that's primarily who I work for.

I imagine that high volume companies aren't doing so well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:05 pm 
New User

I've found that a lot of folks are willing to have their hardwood flooring refinished. However, according to flooring folks whom I know, not that many people are buying "new" material. Additionally, although new residential construction has picked up a bit, it is definitely not like it was five years ago. That being said, what's a guy gonna do? I just hope things get "better" soon!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:43 am 
Prized Contributor

we have actually been busier in the fall than we have all year. Last three months have been good just makes me kinda scared about the bottom falling out next month. Its been a real inconsistent year for us here lots of ups and downs makes it tough to balance.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:53 pm 
Worthy Contributor

If we didn't refinish, we'd be finished. We find ourselves traveling further than ever before, and costs are still way up. We've watched 3 flooring companies in our region close the doors, guys we've been associated with/worked along side of for the past 10-15years are having to seek work elsewhere, factories if they're lucky.
My partner and I have done every job since last May by ourselves.Seems that we have to keep things as lean as possible to compensate for costs, still don't see anywhere near the profit we pulled in 5 years ago. We are working though.So far, it's been better than last year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:41 am 
Newbie Contributor

Im a new floor guy, worked for someone for a good seven years....did it all residential, commercial, and schools. I was taught well, and once I got my degree I made it clear i needed something more than a $13/hr position....he didnt wanna hear it so i went on my own. I live at home, but for the advertising I've done (craigslist only) , I think i'm doing okay for starting out. My prices are definitely below the big boys, I don't have overhead, and im not greedy. Doing installs for 1.50 a sq/f still yields me triple what i'd be paid hourly and i know they wont be able to compete. Free advertising helps too! Im about to go into refinishing soon for 2.00 a sq/ft. Sure i could get more, but starting out who will hire the new guy for big dog price? Plus, I have a government funded job, so untill the flooring takes off I can sit like this and do floors nights and weekends. There is work out there, and the big boys say "I won't work for that price". Hell, employees dont get shit compared to what the floor business owners make! Greedy business wont succeed.....especially if they leave edger marks, chatter marks, and sander marks.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:05 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Well I live in Phoenix Arizona in the US and the past 3 years have been getting busier and better. We do a lot of work from word of mouth. The rest is work we do for Home Depot that keeps us busy on our days off. But so far it's alright. It was nothing like it was 4 or 5 years ago. I never had a day off back then :)

Profile E-mail