Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Buying New Townhouse - go with builder upgrades - yes/no??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:37 pm 
New User

Hi,

I am purchasing a new Townhouse. Next week I am scheduled to select some upgrade options..... One option I am looking at is wood flooring, throughout the lower level. The builder offers Bruce prefinished flooring as an upgrade from vinal carpeting.

I calculated from $9 - $12 dollars per sq. ft. Depending on the ie kitchen, dining area, and family room+ hallways.

Has anyone experience with having an installer come in afterwards and rip out the builder materials (what a shame) and replace with better materials? (prefinished mterials)

- What are some of the caveats?
- Pro's - Con's

In advance thanks for your assistance.

Steve

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Has anyone experience with having an installer come in afterwards and rip out the builder materials (what a shame) and replace with better materials? (prefinished mterials)

Steve:

Happens quite often. Builder upgrades are often "builders grade" material from manufacturers. While I'm not totally against Bruce--they do offer some good high end products. Having dealt with more builders grade products than I'd care to remember when installing, they're often hard to work with and don't look that pleasing when completed. Some people won't notice the difference but they don't have a good comparison to look at.

In the long run you can find a much better quality floor if you shop around and not be focused on builders grade. Have 'em install cheap carpet and vinyl then go from there. I'm quite sure others will chime in on this one.

Good Luck :)

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:24 pm 
Typically around here anyways the builder upgrades are marked up 50% more than the going rate you could get from a dealer.
We do them all the time. People buy the basic stuff then we rip it out (carpet) and install better stuff. Put down cheap vinyl and go over it with wood or ceramic. But make certain they do not skimp on the adhesive for the vinyl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:02 am 
New User

Hey Guys,

Thanks for confirming my thoughts...

I'm just a little concerned about the lower level wood flooring, When the installers come in afterwards, do they generally remove the lower level kitchen cabinets, or install the wood floor up against the cabinets? What is suggested? Should I assume the lower level will have a smooth transition form room to room, would you assume the underlayment will be the same from rooms with vinyl to rooms with carpet?

Also, the upper level I will install the builders grade carpet, then have it replaced.. The builder uses 2.2 padding... I have already checked for the carpet.

Thanks,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:09 pm 
Prized Contributor

What the heck is 2.2 padding???

Never heard of builder grade rebond cushion described like this.

6 pound, or 8 pound density rebond cushion, is all that I have seen as builder grade, with 8 pound being a big upgrade.

This is minimum cushion to keep the warranty on the carpet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:44 pm 
New User

Floorguy... I use to hunt eastern UP Michigan (Archery/Rifle), moved to Illinois no time any longer.. Sure do miss it though.

Ya 2.2, I was'nt aware that any such thing existed.

I will upgrade second level carpet and pad the day I move in (close). Also, I am looking the have wood installed in the lower level.. The builder wants $5300.00 for lower level wood floor (Bruce).. Ranging from $9 - $12 Sq. Ft. per room.

I think I can spend the $5300.00 on good hardwood flooring. I just have to accept that the wood will not be installed under the kitchen cabinets.. Do you see any problems with that?? I stooped by a store today and looked at Mohawk and Mirage... Do you have anyl opinions on these two makers?

Also, should I have the lower level wood installed first or the upper level carpet installed first??

This board has an enormous amount of information. Spent sometime at Fort Hood Texas in the 80's

Thanks,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:13 am 
Prized Contributor

Ya, Down here, I could install a very nice floor for $12 a foot!

Coming from a guy that does both carpet & wood floors, I have the ability to and knowledge/tools to install carpet up against a newly installed wood floor. Most wood only guys make you get someone else that knows carpet to do the transitions.

If I were doing it all, carpet and prefinished wood. I would do the upstairs first, with carpet, while the wood is acclimating. Then install the wood down stairs, after I'm finished with the carpet(except transitions to the wood).

If this is a on-site finished wood, Install & sand the wood first. Install the carpet, then put the finish coat on the wood.

Are your stairs wood or carpet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:38 am 
New User

Perry,

The Stairs will be carpeted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:42 pm 
Edited By Administration

Wm:

I appreciate your contributions but PLEASE think about who is looking in on these forums. This isn't your typical installer slang, trash talk kind of forum. Think about the words you use. What your wrote was good but I don't have the time to edit out all the unnecessary look alike four letter words.

Hope you understand

Ken Fisher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:22 am 
New User

Willy,

I did'nt get a chance to read your response. For an opinion to be deleted, it could'nt have carried much value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:15 pm 
New User

Steve, I'm not a professional installer, but one con may be the cost. You can have your builder install wood for 10.50 sq ft (I am splitting the differenceof the prices you quoted) or you can have him put down carpet and vinyl and then you go back and install something better. In other words, you pay for the carpet/vinyl, then you pay again for the wood flooring that gets installed. Can you do both for less than 10.50 sqft? IF not, is what you install going to be worth the extra cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:42 pm 
New User

Crockett,

Most builders have to put something down. In my case L1 carpet and L1 vinyl, this is built into the cost of the home, you don't see it, but it's in there.... In order for me to install wood in my lower level, the builder wants $XXXX for Bruce 3/4 X 2 1/4. I can have Mullinac Cherrywood 3/4 X 3 or (x4) installed for $YYYY, saving close to $2K I simply have to rip out the old carpet, and vinyl,,, that's pretty easy. The only con I see is the inconvienence, and to clean up after the sanding, but with a water based stain, the smell should'nt last too long. Besides I feel like I have found a professional installer too.....

Did I miss anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:44 pm 
New User

Ok. So the additional cost is to upgrade the standard flooring, otherwise it is built in. I'd still think you are paying for flooring twice over since it costs the builder to put in any kind of flooring. Something to think about if you have the option then is to ask the builder for a discount if he doesn't put anything down, then get your flooring installed, or install it yourself, since you know you will do an upgrade anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:02 pm 
Prized Contributor

Yes I would be wanting the cost of flooring, to be deducted from the closing price.

The company doing the loan paperwork may require flooring be installed before they ok the loan. It is like that down here on new home purchases, with a loan and morgage involved. If you pay cash, you can do what ever you want, or if you are being your own builder and contracting out the work yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:23 pm 
New User

Exactly. I am closing on a house shortly that the seller bought and added a room. The room is finished except for the floor and electrical fixtures. I figured out what it would cost me to have carpeting and the electrical finished out and deducted that from the offer. I will go in and install everything myself since I knew I'd just rip up the carpet. Wiring in an electrical outlet is easy enough. My mortgage agent doesn't seem to care.