Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cabin Grade Floor Decision
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:39 am 
New User

I really like the prices on solid cabin grade hardwood. I personally know some friends that have bought cabin and love their floors. I have seen their floors and they look good.

I have also looked online and I have seen some horror stories and pictures cautioning anyone to touch the stuff.

What do you think of cabin grade? Have you bought and installed it in the past? Is buying 15-20% more to account for waste or bad boards really enough?

I searched for cabin grade and I only found a few old threads started years ago. Is the general consensus that cabin grade isn't worth the risk?

The flooring company I'm looking at is saying that their manufacturer has "the cleanest" cabin grade on the market. What do you think about that statement? Do manufacturers really matter? Or are all cabin grade floors about the same when you consider the risk?

Thank you for taking time to answer in advance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cabin Grade Floor Decision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:11 am 
Prized Contributor

Cabin grade usually has lots of defective boards. A competent mechanic will find reasons to cull boards. Each board will need to be evaluated for shake, loose knots, bad edge match, splits, snipe or low ends or tapered. It will take extra time to lay this type of grade. Have extra good light when laying this grade of flooring. Some good carpenter glue may be helpful.
It can be a beautiful floor! I would stain it so more of the variable grain shows. A stain will usually make the flooring look at least a grade better as it evens the color of mineral streaks and dark boards.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cabin Grade Floor Decision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:12 am 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
Cabin grade usually has lots of defective boards. A competent mechanic will find reasons to cull boards. Each board will need to be evaluated for shake, loose knots, bad edge match, splits, snipe or low ends or tapered. It will take extra time to lay this type of grade. Have extra good light when laying this grade of flooring. Some good carpenter glue may be helpful.
It can be a beautiful floor! I would stain it so more of the variable grain shows. A stain will usually make the flooring look at least a grade better as it evens the color of mineral streaks and dark boards.

Well this will be for a living room and bedroom. I'll probably have a rug in the living room but the bedroom will be bare. It sounds like staining it is must-have with this type of flooring! I may have to bring light into the bedroom because it only has one window.

Thank you for the tips on installing cabin grade hardwood! I guess buying 15% more sf and staining it with a competent crew can get this floor looking great!

Is there anything else I should be looking out for when shopping cabin grade?

Profile E-mail