Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can't Find Concrete Sealers For Use with Sub Floor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:29 am 
Newbie Contributor

I'm trying to follow your advice, Gary, kls, and Floor Guy, but I'm still stuck....I've called...Bostik, Taylor, Sherwin Williams (mfr. of Decco-Rez epoxy sealer), and I'm being told these products are not suitable to be used under plywood sub flooring. The techs say that moisture will break down these sealers, and some have suggested simply loose laying the two layers of 6 mil poly(or one layer of 8 or 10, if I can find it). But then moisture can get trapped between the concrete and the plastic, so better to seal the concrete, right? What sealer CAN I use?

Can any of you please give me a list of manufactuers with product names who will give me a green light to use a sealer for my floating sub floor application?

So far, out of 6 wood floor contractors who have looked at my job, not one installs floating sub floors. CAN ANYONE HELP? I hate to become someone's guinea pig, so I apparently need to tell the contractor how I want the sub floor installed. BTW, these guys are certified with NWFA!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Can't Find Concrete Sealers For Use with Sub Floor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:07 am 
Prized Contributor

gotitused wrote:
BTW, these guys are certified with NWFA!

Or did they just pay their membership, to wave the NWFA banner.

The only thing the NWFA certifies, is failure inspectors. There are classes available for installation techniques, but no certification is given.

Ask them to read in their NWFA manual, about floating subfloors.

Go to www.floorprep.com and look for vaporSeal or Cut Down
Even www.ARDEX.com has one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:18 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks, Floorguy. I read the specs on the epoxies, and I think my application won't work because of air temps. in my area. However, the Cutdown will work, but it is a latex based product. I remember one of you pros warning me not to use a latex based product. Why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:26 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

It was me and I was refering to regular latex PAINT which allows for transmission of vapor. If it is a concrete SEALER, that is a different product and formulation. I did a google on concrete sealers. There are very many. Take your pick.
http://www.google.com/search?client=fir ... gle+Search

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:52 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks, Gary. I know there are thousands of concrete sealers....my husband is a concrete and masonry contractor. But these sealers are specifically used for outdoor applications, and/or are not recommended for use as MVE reduction with floor coverings( I read the technical data sheets). The Cutdown is for use with wood floor coverings, I just need to find out if I can lay the 6 mil poly over that before the sub floor goes down. The spec sheets mention it is compatible with most adhesives, but since I won't be using one, that may be the monkey wrench in my equation. If I can just get one or two more names as a back-up in case Dependable Floor Products says I have to use another bonding agent with this product, then I won't be spinning my wheels. Thanks! :)