Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I can't float this?
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:40 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I bought 300sq of 5/8" x 3 3/8" x 38" bamboo engineer wood 8 months ago. I was told i can float this floor over cork by glueing the T&G.

8 months later i want to end this project but the 2 contractors i have come to look at the plank so far tell me it can't be done. it can be done but they can't guarantee their work. they prefer to nail it. my delima is i want cork underlayment as a sound barrier. i have tenants in the basement. what should i do? any advice is appreicated.

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:29 pm 
Prized Contributor

Not all engineered wood can be floated as some unscrupulous salesmen will sell it to you as. The will tell you what you want to hear, to make the sale. Unlike the installer, who's reputation and wallet can suffer tremendously, if they install it as a floater, and it comes apart on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:08 am 
Newbie Contributor

u are right floor guy. live and learn.

should i still go ahead and float this over 1/4" cork by glueing the planks together? the previous 3 contractors are concern that the bamboo will pop up if walked on because they aren't familiar with floating any wood planks that are less than 6" wide by 6' or 8' long. i appreciate their honesty. their prices are nearly the same, which is roughly $6/sf lay diagonally and $3.75/sf lay perpendicular to the joist. what glue should i use since the box didn't have any specs. would something from titebond work?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:45 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Why don’t you install the cork and then plywood over the cork and then nail to the plywood. If the bamboo is cross-ply it can be floated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

kls wrote:
If the bamboo is cross-ply it can be floated.

I beg to differ! There are more things involved to qualify a board for floating installation, besides being a cross-ply engineered.

If it is loose milled as some gluedown only are, you'll have fun installing it as a floater, and even funner time, uninstalling it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:09 pm 
Newbie Contributor

hmm interesting idea kls. sounds like more work and $$. but that is better than what i have now...which is nothing. these bamboo doesn't look cross ply to me. the box would have said it was cross ply if it is correct?

now..kls' idea. it's a bit more work but at least it's one solution. should i stable the cork to the sub floor and float the ply wood then nail the bamboo down on top of the ply wood? my wood subfloor have some valleys, but none of the valleys are greater than 1/4" , should i still shim it with 30/15# felt paper before laying the cork or will the ply wood on top of the cork even it out?

hey floor guy do u ever come up to va? i need someone like you to come over and just straigten things out...

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:19 am 
Prized Contributor

I don't know alot about bamboo, but on an engineered wood product the bottom layer will be equal to the top layer in thickness to be able to float it. The bottom layer is the balancing layer. If they are equal you may be able to float it.

Always go with what the manufacturer recommends and not a salesman. Have you checked with the manufacturer or obtained the instruction sheet?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:25 am 
Worthy Contributor

Cross-ply like Greenwood http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... atural.htm can be floated it is the defining factor in bamboo as to whether or not it can be floated. If it is cross-ply then it has been designed by the factory to be floated that is the only reason they make cross-ply. Greenwood is the only manufacturer that I know of that produces cross-ply. It is highly unlikely that it is cross-ply unless you specifically purchased it but if it is it has been designed to be floated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:05 pm 
Newbie Contributor

i am an idiot :oops:

the stuff i bought IS glue DOWN or NAIL down only. NO FLOAT!!

the manager apologize for the "misrepresentation" as the old sales manager was LONG gone. what can the current manager do for me? beside NOTHING he apoligized profusely. Now i have 300sqft of bamboo to nail down and 400sq ft of cork underlayment. great!

i think i am going to do what kls sugest...
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:23 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Wanna sell your 300SF Bamboo???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:16 am 
Newbie Contributor

so how much do u want for it? i hope u dont expect me to ship it to FL.