Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can I sand my bamboo floors and stain them darker?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:40 pm 
New User

I have 5 year old bamboo flooring that looks terrible. It is the light blonde color and has turned orange over the last few years. It is also micro-beveled and shows alot of "grime" in the grooves between planks. First can I fill the grooves with wood putty? Second, After I sand them down, can I stain them darker? What kind of putty and stain should I use. On a side note, I bought these from EXPO because they said they were stronger then any wood floors but they are so soft you can easily puncture them with a pencil. Thanks everyone and anyone who can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:18 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Ah yes, the BS about how hard bamboo is. IMO, it is over priced and of questionable quality, considering it is made in China. But to your problems. More than likely, yes, you can refinish (sand) bamboo. But being a "glued up" product with parallel strips of bamboo in layers, you cannot grind the hell out of it like a solid 3/4" floor. Just sand enough to remove the finish and dents/scratches. As far as the bevels are concerned, after sanding, they maybe pretty small and less of a problem. But clean them very well with a small nylon bristle brush, BONA wood floor cleaner and a wet/dry shop vac to suck up excess moisture from the cleaner. Bamboo doesn't stain very well. It will look splotchy. If you want darker, tear it out and start over. But it does finish nicely with a waterbased floor finish that should not amber over time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:46 pm 
Worthy Contributor

The only way to get good results with staining bamboo is with a gel stain as it sets up longer which allows it to penetrate more evenly.

Profile E-mail