Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can this be fixed?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:01 pm 
New User

Need advice on how to proceed. I had an unfinished rift and quartered red oak hardwood floor finished. When they were done there were big swirl marks, not sanded properly along the walls, and other problems. The owner did agree to fix them. The cure might be worse than their initial mistakes though.

They hand sanded several boards to get out the swirl marks then applied 2 or 3 coats of Bona HD on the repaired boards, they then put another coat of Bona HD over the whole floor(to fix the edges, holes, and blend in the repaired boards). So I think they tried their best to fix the problems.

The sheen and color of the repaired boards are off. Depending on the sunlight/lights in the rooms. It can go from being noticeable to very noticeable.

The company has been in business for 30 yrs and out of 4 quotes they cost $2.64 MORE than the second highest quote. I didn't go the budget route or hire someone with little experience or anything on those lines.

Before I talk to the owner I was looking for advice on why it happened and what can be done. Every time the owner would stop by he would say how perfect and beautiful the floor looks. He got angry and started yelling the first time we pointed out issues but then when he came back agreed to fix them so I would like to be prepared when he comes in with an idea of what could be done to fix it.

I have attached pics although my phone's camera doesn't completely replicate what it looks like.

Thanks!

Couldn't get images to upload so here is a Google Drive folder containing them
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XbwKRu4XXvsz4NBLrf5W8HY1rRW-4kct?usp=sharing

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Can this be fixed?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:14 pm 
Prized Contributor

Looks like you chose a beautiful floor. Sanding for a stain needs to be done carefully to eliminate machine marks because the stain magnifies scratches not with the grain.
If the floor has noticeable machine marks looking from eye level when standing you may have reason to call them back. Practice makes perfect.
However, light and time will allow the surface to develop a surface patina that will tend to blend in some blemishes. With a water-based finish that doesn't amber like a oil based poly and is showing the beauty of the wood better, smaller mistakes will show up...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:28 pm 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
Looks like you chose a beautiful floor. Sanding for a stain needs to be done carefully to eliminate machine marks because the stain magnifies scratches not with the grain.
If the floor has noticeable machine marks looking from eye level when standing you may have reason to call them back. Practice makes perfect.
However, light and time will allow the surface to develop a surface patina that will tend to blend in some blemishes. With a water-based finish that doesn't amber like a oil based poly and is showing the beauty of the wood better, smaller mistakes will show up...

Thanks for the reply! The difference can be seen from the next room 40 ft away. I was hoping that with 30 yrs in business they wouldve had enough practice. But mistakes happen and they tried to fix it. It didn't turn out right though. Any advice on how to proceed now. I dont think a brand new floor at a cost of $23,000+ should look like patched like that.

thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:19 pm 
New User

Anyone have thoughts

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:26 pm 
Prized Contributor

You can have the contractor try to match the color by applying another coat of finish with dye in ti, but sanding over is the only thing to make the beauty show through

Profile E-mail