Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can uneveness be solved with a warped board in some cases
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:25 pm 
New User

Guys,

I am gluing 7" wide engineered plank (Bruce) on slab; some pieces are 4' or 5' long.

I am now in a short hallway. Planks are laid perpendicular this short hallway becuase I have just "came out" of a long hallway where I laid along the longest wall. There is a walking closet from this short hallway to the right. I had to prep the slab both in the short hallway and in the walking closet. Becuase this is my first time, I did level each of the areas WITHIN the short hall way and the closet. What I did not realize until now when I have approached the spot is that the short hall way is that there is no levelness between the two of them. In other words, if I put 8' level perpendicular to the hallway half way into the hall way and half way into the walk-in close, I get uneveness of almost 1/2" (which is way above 3/16" recommended by Bruce and the glue mfctr).

I have realized I have two options. The third one ìs to relevel but I have spent enough time on this to realize that I will spend a month on this and will probably not do much better.

[b]Option 1 - [/b]"Separate" the hallway from the walk-in close by laying them independently of one another and use T-molding underneath the walk-in closet's door. This way I have two perfectly leveled areas which are connected by a T-molding which is above the hump. Luckily, the top of the hump is underneath the door. The problem with this option is that my wife wants the "flow" and hates T-moldings, even though it will not be visible until you open the walkin closet's door.

[b]Option 2 -[/b] I have bent/warped planks that approximate the hump. I can line the planks up in a way that the bent/warped planks will be over the hump. I have tried to dry-lay a couple and they seem to fit well (no wabbling, etc.). My concern is that the short-hall way is a high traffice area and that in the long-run the plank will want to "straighten" itselt and will pop on one of the ends.

[b]QUESTION -[/b] Do wide and long planks tend to straightten/level themselves over time? If no, is my plan to use bent/warped planks sound? If yes, will be teh glue be able to prevent the ultimate "self-leveling" of the planks.

I am pretty sure that Option 1 should work and be releatively risk free. However, I don't want to be too conservative and need an experienced layer's opinion on whether you can essentially solve the uneveness probably by using appropriately aligned bent/warped planks.

Thank you very much in advance.

Amish made hardwood