Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can I Watch?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:18 pm 
New User

Not sure if this is the right spot for my question, but here goes...

I am, at this very moment having hardwood flooring installed. Do you guys who do this for a living mind if the customer watches? It's not that I want to keep an eye on them, it's just that I'm interested in the process. At the same time, I don't want to make them nervous. I'll just watch and won't make a sound. What do you pros think?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:12 am 
Worthy Contributor

I have never minded the company or observation.

Though it is usually just the cats.

Though, there was a couple once who spent over hour going over my every move with me and my helper all crammed into a 9 x 6 enclosed back porch. That was a little much. I had to kick them out. They were a funny older foreign couple. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:23 am 
New User

Thanks for the feedback. After seeing what was done yesterday (and without my observing them) I think I will pull up a chair and watch. The guy who sold me the floor is coming out this morning before the installers arrive so he can tell me whether my standards are too high or the installers' are too low. There are gaps (I can actually see the staples) and high/low boards, mostly at the ends. I also noticed a lot of split tongues like maybe the stapler needs adjusting. Finally, the installer balked when I mentioned a few squeaky areas in the underlayment that could use a screw or two. There didn't seem to be any floor prep at all. Just pulled up the carpet, quick sweep, and put down the paper. I hope these guys aren't taking advantage of me because I'm female. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:06 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Suzie I'd say if you can see the staples, between the boards there standards are not what they should be. I'd be on the phone to the owner pronto.

ML