Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can Waterlox be applied in sections?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:18 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I'll be finishing southern yellow pine in another week and I'm trying to figure a strategy that will allow my wife and I to live in the house while applying the finish. According to the Waterlox web site, each coat should be allowed 12-24 hours to dry. Our house is small with just two entrances/exits both opening on to the floor I'll be finishing. I'm wondering if I can apply the sealer on one section of the floor one day and then do another section another day, thereby allowing us to navigate through the house while the sealer dries. My concern with this strategy is getting even coverage from one section to the next. What do you think? Do you have another suggestion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:47 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

One could do it that way but after the first night, I think you will decide not to. The smell of Waterlox is horrific and generally makes one sick. I use a respirator when I use it. IF you able to keep the house well ventilated and block off the rooms you're living in with the windows open and towels stuffed under the door bottoms, you MAY be able to deal with the odor. Also, you will need more than one coat. Have you considered how you're going to apply all the coats required (3 to 4)?