Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cast Iron base board heat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:29 pm 
New User

Hi everyone, I'm new here. My husband and I are tearing up carpet in our dining room and want to install some kind of hardwood or bamboo. We've done bamboo on other floors but this one we are not sure how to proceed. On two of the walls there is cast iron base board heating. I did some Googling and have seen people suggest "remove it and lay down the flooring" or "bend it up slightly" but that isn't going to work for us. The heating has been painted over numerous times by previous owners so the bolts/screws aren't going to move. And there is definitely no way to bend anything upward. Any suggestions on how to door flooring with this kind of heating aside from just leaving the unfinished edge as close as we can get it to the heating? If there is a way to post a pic I'd be happy to but I couldn't see a way to. Thanks a lot :)

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Cast Iron base board heat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 pm 
Prized Contributor

The heating system would normally need to accommodate a new floor installation. It's typical that everything that can get painted will have paint over to after a while with no quality control. I would use paint remover to soften paint over screws so there could be a way to mechanically accommodate the new flooring. Not all heating systems are installed permanently. What if you want to change to another system in the future? How would this be removed? The flooring is a long term investment, too. You don't want to have a big problem patching the floor in the future.

Profile E-mail