Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:03 pm 
Newbie Contributor

thanks for your comments Ray,

We've been in contact with the distributor who sold us the floor and they said the manufacturer (Owen's) doesn't have any recommended procedures for sanding/finishing, etc. They've basically told us it's a "refinishing" problem and the product and the method in which it was installed has nothing to do with it.

The following is taken directly from a fax we recieved from the distributor that sold us the floor:

"Owens had no paper on sanding procedure. They have run into this only two times (three now)."

However, in the fax they did recommend two sanding options - we followed their 2nd option specifically as they stated. The floor still didn't look any different - the same problems were there with the chatter marks still visable. This is when we were told it's not a problem with the product or the floating installation is was becuase the refinisher didn't cut/sand the floor at a 45 degree angle to get rid of the marks. They never stated this in the directions they gave us.

We are beyond frustrated!! They were remiss in adding this to their instructions yet we're still sitting here many $$$ later with a floor that has to be refinished yet another time!! At our expense, again! It just doesn't seem right.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:02 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Even IF the chatter in the floor was due to vibration because the floor was floated, by hardplating or using a multi-disc sander could have removed the chatter. It seems to me that the sander/finishers who took on this job were not diligent enough to the customers problems and concerns and just sanded they way they might normally sand a nailed down floor. Another possibility that comes to mind is the telegraphing of the core coming through the top veneer layer. I've seen this on Hartco Pattern Plus, on Firebird Phoenix and others. But, as I understand it, Owens doesn't use a fillet back like the other brands I mentioned. It is supposed to be a 7 ply solid ply back so I really don't know if this could happen or if that phenomena is just with floors with fillet backing. Either way, I hold the finishers responsible. They took the job. They should have taken every precaution to deliver a quality floor; and charged accordingly. IMO, it is they who dropped the ball, not Owen's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:25 am 
Prized Contributor

It sounds like all the sand & finish contractors in your area, learned from the same guy, without any real training on the proper protocol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:09 pm 
Valued Contributor

I agree with Gary.
From what little I've personally experienced in Re-finishing floating floors; floating floors are successfully screened and re-coated. A full sanding, as if nailed and solid, is risky.
Sorry for this situation you are in, but following Gary's suggestions appear to be the right direction.