Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cherry finish on maple floors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:58 pm 
New User

I am in the market for cherry flooring for my new house. I like the Bruce Kennedale Plank/Strip flooring. Species is Maple. I have been told that if you ever need to resurface you have to go back natural?? Is this true.. How did Bruce get the stain on in the first place?

This is a pain until I get this clarified because it leaves me optionless because of the price I can the Bruce Kennedale for.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:18 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

A couple of things. There is no need to resand a floor unless it is badly worn or damaged. You do need to have "recoats" done periodically to maintain the floors, especially in high traffic areas. This will not change the color of the floor. However, if you do need to sand the flooring down to the "raw" wood, and since your wood species is maple, it will be difficult to stain. Now, there are finishers who do stain maple floors and it can be done, just don't expect the results to be exactly like a factory job where they use different products under different circumstances (a very controlled environment). So, go ahead and buy what you like now. Who knows how long you will actually live in your current home? Many people sell before their floors need refinishing (sanding)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:35 pm 
New User

I just want to make sure that if for some reason the floors do wear down and we want to get them updated with a fresh coat of poly or stain that I don't have to go back to natural finish on the maple.

I understand I won't get the same as the factory finish but I want to make sure that if for some reason I have to update them that I can and they whole thing doesn't have to come back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:18 pm 
Prized Contributor

It can be done, just most guys dont like the idea of it, Maple is a very close grain wood so when you go to stain it tends to go on a little uneven and blotchy. There are ways of dealing with this but that color imparticular is a bi**h to match on site I have had to make some trim peice to match and that alone was enough for me.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:14 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Is a "Cinnamon"/light brown color hard to resurface with Maple?