Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chinese Hardwood?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Any thoughts on it guys? It's obvious it will keep coming into our markets. Several major manufacturers are already doing it. The only experince I have is with bamboo and I have to admit some of them look pretty darned good thesedays. Flawless finishes, straight boards, but I guess that's pretty easy to do with bamboo.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:48 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Ken I have installed approx 20000 sq ft of Goodfellows Kempas which comes from China and I have to say the milling was as good as it gets, flawless finish ,straight boards and virtually no overwood.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:53 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I installed some Bruce flooring that was made in China. The quality seemed to me to be about the same as an American made floor. I also have installed some of Universal's wood which are also made over there. Again, the quality was average; not great and not bad either. Nowdays, with our worldwide marketplace, North America no longer has a monopoly on quality made hardwood flooring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the imput guys. I was pretty skeptical at first when several asked if I'd offer it on the site. We're going to order a few hundred square feet and check it out for ourselves. Geesh, can't beat the prices.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Be careful with the "NEW" hardwoods
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:51 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Between the inconsistant quality control, (some shipments are perfect, others junk) and that we just don't know enough about these woods, these "NEW" woods can be an expensive gamble.
My rep was just telling me yesterday about all the problems they've had with Kempas in Alberta. Seems it cracks and crumbles if it gets too dry.
Who knows what problems the others will bring with them.
Most people want a floor, not an experiment.
I'll sell it, but I won't sugar coat it.

Post subject: chinese wood-noble house-
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:29 pm 
Hey guy or gals new to the forum and probly new to the floor install biz compared to some of you [5 yrs install exp , prefinished and laminate]. Awsome site by the way. Put in Noble House[chinese wood] 3 times .Lucky to get paid the first 2 times. 3rd time worked 1 day and was told that night by the costomer he wanted it ripped out. He said it didn,t represent the sample. I also noticed the usual checking showing up at the end of the day and no bevel dosen,t help either.Store should sell it as firewood. Just my opinion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:06 am 
Prized Contributor

The real question is when a problem does come up who handles the complaint. I have seen some good looking products and an equal number of questionable ones as well often from the same mills. I cringe of the idea of prepaying for a container load of flooring and having it lost at sea or something. Anyway Ken's right about some of the pricing, I have been seeing prices for 3/4 solid prefinshed that were closer to some unfinished prices.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail