Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Circular scratch marks from Clarke OBS floor sander screens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:35 pm 
Newbie Contributor

My floor man and I are having a problem with these circular scratch marks from the OBS 18 Clarke/American floor sander using 100 grit screens. The last time the floor was screened, he screened it twice with the red pad and 100 grit screens - level circular scratches throughout the entire floor. Today we went back with 80 100, 150, 120 (at one point) and 220 grit screens at the end. We even tried 80 grit paper briefly with a white pad to see if we could cut beneath them and we was concerned that it was roughing up the floor. In the end, after whiping the floor with mineral spirits to get a preview we could still see the circular scratches and also directional circular scratches that look like from the sander turning despite assertions that it can be used in any direction.

The floor is extremely smooth to the touch and looks immaculate when dry. It stands to reason that these circular scratches are beneath the layer of poly we are screening. I have heard and even read things on this board about how additional coats can help this look better. I have three bedrooms and a hallway that I am very happy with. If you get on your hands and knees with really good like you can see faint residuals of these types of scratches from a previous use of the OBS 18.

I am wondering what do to. The floor is thin and really shouldn't be refinished with a belt sander ever again due to the risk of chattermarks.

Should we rescreen with 220 until they are gone, or will that make more? Is it time to consider a matte finish rather than satin?

I will never have another site finished floor in my life, I swear.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Circular scratch marks from Clarke OBS floor sander screens
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:33 am 
Prized Contributor

Well I'm no sand an finish guy but I can tell you your not supposed critique, evaluate sanding from on your knees and a magnifying glass. Only from a standing position and NOT in reflective lighting. Thems the rules and your finish guy should know that.
If it's under the old finish your screening was it OK to you before? If so why not now?

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:00 pm 
Newbie Contributor

they are visible from standing. look terrible. Hoping they are in the poly and not the wood.

I am about to strip the floor with soygel and go back with tung oil.

no more polyurethane for me. Can't get it done correctly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:02 pm 
Newbie Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:
Well I'm no sand an finish guy but I can tell you your not supposed critique, evaluate sanding from on your knees and a magnifying glass. Only from a standing position and NOT in reflective lighting. Thems the rules and your finish guy should know that.
If it's under the old finish your screening was it OK to you before? If so why not now?

the scratches were not there before. they were made by an obs 18.

Profile E-mail