Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Circular or Table Saw?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:59 pm 
Newbie Contributor

To the veteran flooring guys:

Which do you use and prefer?

What is easiest for cutting solid strips the long length way (the 4+ ft long pieces for finishing the end row)??

All I own is nice Mikita Circular Saw I used for some framing work. Since I'm new to the flooring trade, I'm wondering if I should buy a Table saw to make straighter boards that are cut the long way. Thoughts?

Also, for the simple Pine Colonial baseboard moldings, is the Circular saw adequate for the angle cuts, or do you think I should invest in a Mitre saw too??

Thx!
PBuddy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

Even though it is much slower then my table saw, I could make it work with a circular saw. Just cut the board from the back side, finished side down. Buy a 60 tooth blade for it.

Miter cuts the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

PB:

Depends on the amount of flooring you're putting down. A good jig saw will work if you don't have alot of rip cuts against paralell wall lines.

Baseboard? Defiinely a miter saw

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:42 am 
Valued Contributor

If you expect to have any future in your newly chosen trade, you had better buck up and buy some tools. I consider my slide saw and table saw to be bare minimum. I cannot imagine ripping stuff up with a skilsaw. You are liable to lose a finger.

I concur with what Ken offered,get a decent jigsaw,at least. Make sure it is an oscillating model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:16 am 
Newbie Contributor

)Pea,

All I used when I first started was a skill saw for cutting flooring. The first company I work for thats all we had. The owner was a cheapO. Then when I went out on my own I still used a skill saw. Then my saw burnt up and I bought a table saw and a miter saw and, now I hardly use my skill saw for installing floors. Start with mid range saw and you will pay for it in no time because it wiil save you time and fingers. ( I still got all mine Knock on wood :)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:00 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for all the input guys. Much Appreciated. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute some advice/tips on this board instead of receiving all the time.

BTW, Ken, you have a nice brief little write-up on tools I just found. Thought I'd post it here since it has some relevance.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... -tools.htm

Thanks again,
PB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:39 pm 
New User

If you're the type of person who would tackle a flooring project, then you'll probably also want to invest in the tools necessary for this and similar types of projects in the future. If I were you, I'd use this opportunity as an excuse to invest in a decent handheld jig saw and a compound miter saw.

The miter saw will come in handy when you do the baseboards and other trim work. You can also use it to cut 2x's when you build that deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:05 am 
Valued Contributor

Pbuddy, I guess I did not really anwer your question. If you are going to show up with one saw,make it a portable table saw.

I use the Makita 8-1/4 model. I don't know if they still make it. Anything you could do with a miter saw or a skilsaw you can do with that saw.

I would encourage you to buy a quality saw. If you go with a knock off,you will be stuck with it. There is always another tool you will buy instead of replacing something you already have with a better model.

Another cool thing about having a table saw is that you can make transition pieces in a pinch. Hell,I make my own splines when I have run out of the store boughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:01 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

To be a pro and competetive, you gotta have the right tools. Everyone one has their favorites that's easiest for them. I saw two old timers laying 3/4"oak strip using hand saws and a manual powernailer; thats it. A guy I met from Poland installs 8" colonial baseboards by handnailing and cutting with a 7&1/4" circular saw (skil saw); and does a nice job to boot! My father in law (union carpenter for forty yrs.) cuts everything with a skil saw. It's what you get used to. Personally, I like tools SOOOO......... when something new comes around that makes my job better/easier, I see if I can afford it. The outlay for tools for a floorman who does install AND sand n finish is HUGE. I'd say, get the install tools first and learn that well. Then, when and if you're interested in sanding and finishing, look into those tools; but only when your successful as an installer. The saw I use most; my Hitachi 10" sliding compound miter saw (I love this saw) and next would be my portable Skil table saw (it won't die), my Bosch jig saw is very helpful for making weird cuts (scribing). I wouldn't think of installing a nail down floor without my air nailers (Bostich and Senco) and my compressor (Emglo). But, if I had to show up with only one saw, I think I'd pick my Bosch jig saw. Why? It's powerful, accurate, safe, and can make any cut (none very well) but all good enough for FLOORING, not trim. One could say the same about a circular saw but I've seen way too many accidents with those (same could be said for table saws) where guards have been removed, along with fingers. Second pick would be Chuck's choice, a table saw. This can make any cut with great accuracy IF one learns to respect this saw and it's nasty habit of kick backs. BEST TIP: have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:45 am 
Newbie Contributor

When I started doing floors 28 years ago, we didn't have an abundance of portable tools. We used the manual power nailer (try laying 10,000 feet in a gym that way) and a Porter Cable 4 1/2 trim saw. We used to hand nail base. Now I have all the goodies but there are times when just the trim saw is used and the manual power nailer makes more sense. When working in San Francisco, where there is no parking available near your job, and the floor is three stories up, I don't want to haul up compressors and chop saws and table saws etc. I still use the trim saw the most because as I go across the floor, I just have it beside me all the time. As my knees get older (read shot) it gets harder and harder to keep getting up and down. Once down, I'd rather stay there. BUT... I was trained in this method and respect the saw. Still have all my digits and no scars, but have seen some apprentices with missing fingers and scars on their legs from using this method. Best bet for a beginner is to use the table saw and a chop saw. Much safer, and in the long run you will still be able to count to 10 using your fingers.
Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:02 pm 
Newbie Contributor

You Guys ROCK! Thanks so much for sharing this info. It is great advice. I'm very indebted.

So far so good in my newly found trade. I am very green obviously, but so far I still have all my digits and my first few installs have gone pretty well. I've been able to improvise where needed (For example, I used a door jamb drill bit to cut a hole big enough to fit around baseboard heating pipes that protrude through sub floor, then cut to the circle on each side of circumference so it slides into the notch with spacing. I also did a couple of row cuts with my Makita Circ without much problem. I used lots of clamps and a sawhorse. I don't plan on making this a habit however. I will definitely be buying a decent table and jig saw soon. Not sure on the compound mitre yet. Been able to get way with keeping existing base moldings. Anyone use hand mitre with box for this? Anyway, I'm learning lots of things I never anticipated, and you only learn by doing and posing many questions to experienced guys like yourselves. So thanks for all the help.

PB

Profile E-mail