Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re-Claimed Wood
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:09 pm 
I just talked to the second person in recent months about re-claimed wood. It seems that hardwood from old tobacco barns is one of the hottest things going.

I have seen a couple samples and it smells really good amazingly enough. The tobacco gets squished in the grooves. I wonder if a finish is even used on this stuff? That would cancel out its uniqueness would it not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:16 pm 
Valued Contributor

That is a neat idea. My grandaddys tobacco barns would blow your head off even ten years after he quit curing tobacco. One of the best smells in the world. Reckon what the lumber looks like when you cut it open?

There are thosands of those standing around unused. Hell,there are three of them on my place up in NC. Thats a bunch of logs. Everybody cures their stuff in bulk barns now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:29 pm 
Chuck, ever think of buying those old barns? Better hurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:27 pm 
Valued Contributor

You have me thinking about it ,Stephen. I already own three. I can think of a dozen more that are just sitting around up there. If I were to hit the warpath,I could probably find 50 in that one county alone.

I am trying to imagine the logistics. I could hire folks to tear them down.
Those old,log bacca barns are never more than about 20x 20. I could probably use a 24ft box truck to transport the logs. The cool thing is they were all built without the aid of giant equipment. That means there is no need for giant equipment to take them down.

I have a friend that owns a small sawmill about an hour north of me. I could have him rip the stuff into 1in planks. Hell,I could do it myself and just give him some boot.

You have me excited,Esteban. Thanks for the info.

Yours in earnest,
Chuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:48 am 
Worthy Contributor

A friend of mine here makes a very good living locating and crafting salvage timbers such as those into floors, mantels, and rough hewn furniture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:14 am 
I expect a percentage. :wink: Apparently there are many with tongue and groove floors. Thats the best ones. You can actually see the baccy on the sides of the strips.

Ship it out to me and I will sell it to all the yuppies with big bucks to burn.