Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cleaning... help?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:12 pm 
New User

I have a few year old teak pre-finished flooring from LL in the kitchen. I won't get into the poor quality (uneven edges) of the boards (did that years ago with Consumer groups) but I seem to have a recent issue with cleaning the floor.

I suspect some olive oil has splattered onto the floor (after many Blue Apron dinners), and may be the issue.
I clean the floor with various, specialized cleaners but that didn't help, and it seems after a wash when I walk on the floor i see my footprints (with and without shoes/slippers). With slippers you can hear it sticking to the floor. The shoes, slippers, etc. have been cleaned but I think there must be some substance on the floor even after multiple cleanings (if we walk with socks you can see those prints).
This didn't happen in the past (before much cooking with oils so I suspect that :)

I have tried the white vinegar and detergent mix but that has not helped.

Thoughts?

Thx

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Cleaning... help?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 pm 
Prized Contributor

Turpentine will remove oils, along with soil.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:19 am 
Worthy Contributor

Different finishes will react differently to different cleaning products. Its difficult to figure out whats happening without knowing what kind of finish is on your floor - Wax and oil based finishes behave quite differently for example. General rule of thumb is to use the manufacturer recommended cleaner only. Call up or visit their website for recommendations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:11 am 
New User

WestonKris wrote:
Different finishes will react differently to different cleaning products. Its difficult to figure out whats happening without knowing what kind of finish is on your floor - Wax and oil based finishes behave quite differently for example. General rule of thumb is to use the manufacturer recommended cleaner only. Call up or visit their website for recommendations.

Thanks,
LL shows Bellawood cleaner. I may try that.

I have tried Bona and Black Diamond....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:28 am 
Prized Contributor

You can clean off a film type finish with turpentine. The water-based cleansers have a low suds detergent that contain surfactants that help dissolve the dirt better than water, but don't leave a residue when they evaporate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:55 pm 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
You can clean off a film type finish with turpentine. The water-based cleansers have a low suds detergent that contain surfactants that help dissolve the dirt better than water, but don't leave a residue when they evaporate.

Thanks. I used a towel and turpentine and wiped the entire floor (cough). It got it clean/shiny and I even cleaned my slippers but after walking on it later it felt sticky again and I see footprints again.

Do I need to try it again then maybe wash it with water?

I may wait until spring... didn't realize how much it smelled.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:19 am 
Newbie Contributor

I think you have to try mixture of Vinegar and baking soda. and after applying that clean it with the normal water. cause both are natural and excellent cleaners. which will not hurt your wood like change the colour of floors.

Profile E-mail