Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Clear or Select?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:18 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hello,
I have to replace the hardwood flooring in a room of original flooring from 45 years ago when the house was built. Before it was taken out, most contractors told me that it was red oak. After tearing up the old, I found a sticker on the back of several pieces that says "CLEAR WHITE" So, I assume that means it's white oak not red oak and the grade of the wood is CLEAR.

My limited online research tells me that CLEAR is a grade above SELECT but when calling around locally looking for CLEAR WHITE OAK. I'm being told over and over again that CLEAR is what is called SELECT and that the only grade above SELECT is PREMIUM. I'd appreciate it if anyone can clarify this for me.
Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Clear or Select?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:05 pm 
Worthy Contributor

NOFMA grades, in order from most prominent characterics and color variation to least prominent characteristic and color variation, are #2 Common, #1 Common, Select, and Clear.
You can see photo and descriptions here http://www.nwfa.org/member/NOFMAGradePhotos.aspx.

It sounds like they are using their own proprietary standards, but their "premium" would likely be the most comparable to NOFMA Clear. The question is, what was the first floor? Someone else's clear, or NOFMA clear. Without a direct indication on the label, you will probably need to look at their material first hand and make a decision on what looks closest to your existing floor. You can also post some photos here, and poll some opinions. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:13 pm 
Prized Contributor

The primary difference in grades of flooring material is the range of colour found in the grade, size and frequency of acceptable knots, and average length of any given order.
Basically the accepted grading terminology is as follows

clear
select
#1 common
#2 common
utility

Most mills also offer a "select and better grade" which is a combination of select and clear

Some mills offer a "mill run" grade which is a compilation of all grades above utility.

There are many variations on the terms but essentially thats the way it is.

I am the purchasing agent for the company I work for and as such, bring in materials from all over the U.S. and Canada. If you tell me your general location I may be able to direct you to a quality mill in your area. But be aware that today's available "clear" grade material wont match the standards of 45 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:30 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the link, that was very helpful.
bw wrote:
The question is, what was the first floor? Someone else's clear, or NOFMA clear. Without a direct indication on the label...
The sticker which states CLEAR WHITE also has a NOFMA CERTIFIED OAK FLOORING seal on it and also says CLOUD OAK FLOORING CO. SPRINGFIELD & WEST PLAINS, MO.

Also, NOFMA LOCKWOOD OAK FLOORING SPRINGFIELD MISSOURI is actually engraved in the back of the piece of flooring itself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:35 pm 
Newbie Contributor

dennis wrote:
...If you tell me your general location I may be able to direct you to a quality mill in your area.
North Eastern area of the U.S.
dennis wrote:
But be aware that today's available "clear" grade material wont match the standards of 45 years ago.
How have standards changed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:15 pm 
Prized Contributor

Try Timberline Flooring in Fulton New York. I purchase a lot of rift and quartered white oak from them

How have standards changed

Not so much the standards, but with increased production more allowance for colour variation seems to slip through and be accepted by the industry.
When I started laying floors in the '60's there was very little colour differences, and in retrospect I think it was because we were a much more wastefull society then. Nowadays in an effort to conserve natural resources, what would once be discarded as unsuitable, is utilized if not in the flooring itself, in other aspects of manufacturing.
The chief difference you will find today will be in the length of the boards. We rarely had to have any joints in bedroom installations, and the shorts (the 6 - 8 ft bundles) were used up in living rooms. Today you will be lucky to get one or 2 six foot pieces in a nested bundle of 20 square feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:08 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I agree. The NOFMA member mills do not grade as well as they did in the past. Personally, I think NOFMA is looking the other way regarding the grading standards. All the issues Dennis mentioned are common. Some mills are worse than others.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:21 pm 
Newbie Contributor

dennis wrote:
Try Timberline Flooring in Fulton New York. I purchase a lot of rift and quartered white oak from them
Thanks, decent price but the shipping cost will kill my budget.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:23 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Gary wrote:
I agree. The NOFMA member mills do not grade as well as they did in the past. Personally, I think NOFMA is looking the other way regarding the grading standards. All the issues Dennis mentioned are common. Some mills are worse than others.

If that's the case and I'm not going to be hand picking each piece, is clear really worth the extra money?
Here's a section of the flooring I'm trying to match.
Click on the image to enlarge

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:30 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Buy the clear grade. It should have more straight grain, which is what you need. The customer should have been informed that you will do your best at getting matching wood but that it's always a crap shoot when patching an old floor. I usually can do so without issue, as long as one uses the same species.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:11 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Great...thanks!

Profile E-mail